Griffin PowerMate

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dlegend, Feb 2, 2009.

1. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I don't have one, but wondered if you read the 13 reviews in that link? The reason I asked is that it got some pretty lukewarm reviews and no great ones. Hopefully someone here can add some more info though.

2. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

I bought mine because I replaced my 2.0 speaker setup with a 2.1 with the volume knob on the sub, so for me it acts as a simple volume knob, but I've discovered other random uses throughout the OS.

It'll scroll through folders in finder, when in iTunes it adjusts iTunes' volume, in any other app it adjusts system volume, but one can easily configure it using the included software to have other scrolling or selection options in other apps.

Aside from the scrolling, the knob also 'clicks' so that can be assigned a function, like muting for the system, or something app specific.

Its sensitivity is great for my purposes, but using it in any other app, its just useless. I was thinking I might be able to use it to fly through long pages/docs, but the ratio between how much actual scroll you get between how much scrolling you're doing is laughable, even on the highest sensitivity settings. So you're pretty much boned for iMovie.

In addition, it has a blue LED on the bottom, which can't be shut off. When I was using it in Windows, the brightness of the LED increased or decreased depending on what the system volume was at, it doesn't seem to do it in OSX, despite how many times I change it in the software.

...any other questions?

3. MSD401 macrumors 6502

MSD401

i love mine...definitely more of a gimmick but I find my self using it more and more as my desk setup has evolved....

4. erstwhilepo macrumors member

Believe it or not, I just received one today. Mainly, I'm a sucker for anything with a blue light on it. So far, so good. I have configured it to scroll while using Safari. It also will scroll thru content on iMovie - set that up but haven't gone in and done anything with it yet. Give it a shot, help the economy.

5. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

it seems like a total waste to use this to scroll through safari or finder or something like that. A scroll wheel on a mouse is way more efficient and you don't have to lift your hand off the device that you use to control your computer!

6. dlegend thread starter macrumors 6502

I was thinking about using it for imovie with my left hand and using my right hand for the mouse. I think I'm just going to get a mouse though and do it that way. Right now its a PITA with the trackpad.