Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Griffin's Guide Magnetic Cable Management Set was first announced at CES in January of 2015, but it didn't become available for purchase until September. We went hands-on with the Guide to see if it was worth the wait as a cable management solution.

The Guide Cable Management Set is modular and consists of three weighted bases and three magnetic aluminum cable anchors that attach to the bases. Each base is made from a polished stainless steel with a shiny finish while the anchors, available in three sizes from small to large, are made from an anodized copper-colored aluminum.

griffin-guide-800x351.jpg

Together, the Guide system looks great on a desk, but it is only available in the polished steel and copper colorway, which doesn't match any iOS devices and while neutral, may not match all office and room decors. I liked the design of the Guide, but I did wish it was available in a wider selection of colors.

Each of the three bases is the same size, measuring in at 2.28 x 1.98 inches, but the magnetic cable anchors come in a range of sizes to fit different cords. The smallest of the three anchors is sized to fit a single iPhone cable, while the middle one can hold several iPhone-sized cables or a couple of larger cables, and the biggest anchor can hold thicker cables like those for cameras and other electronics. The weight of the Guide bases will keep them in place, but there's also a non-skid material on the bottom to provide even more traction.

griffin-guide2-800x276.jpg

Because the anchors attach to each base using magnets, they can be arranged in multiple ways. One anchor can be used per base or multiple anchors can fit on a single base to meet various cable management needs. For my work space, I used the smaller one to hold an iPhone cable that has a pesky habit of slipping off the edge of the desk, while I used the other two to hold my MacBook cable and cables for other devices in place.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Griffin Review: The Guide Cable Management Set Will Keep Your Desk Organized

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Clever solution.

Just don't try to use this sytem with lockdown cables. It will only stop Insane Clown Posse.

AbSoluTc

Contributor
Sep 21, 2008
So... Only one of those guides will actually do what it's suppose to. Cables will slip through the others. Am I missing something?

Doc C

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2013
So let me get this straight -
We are being asked to shell out $40 so we can put a hunk of metal on our desk and intentionally then run data cables through a magnetic field that is created by these other (ugly) hunks of metal?

I bought a "Cable Management System" from Staples for $9.99. It had numerous plastic holders that I could hide on the edge of my desk where it didn't get in my way and didn't look ugly. And it has lots of extra parts that I haven't yet used. And I probably still paid too much.

Reactions: chuloo and nicho

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I'll take the Velcro straps any day of the week. They are cheap and much cleaner than this solution.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Running cabling through big magnets and having big magnets next to sensitive electronics? Sounds like a horrid idea.

Remember sticking a magnet on your TV when you were a kid, and having your father grab for his belt faster than that cool color change?

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
The stupid need to relieved of their money somehow...

I really thought the magnet plate was hidden at first under the table and stuck to the underside or something. That might have had some merit i suppose but this way.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
i'm disappointed the review wasn't a little more scathing for what is, basically, crap packaged up and sold.

does the reviewer *really* like the look of this on his desk?

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
you win the internet today for this post....
haha thanks!

That image isn't mine. This is my setup:

When I don't need my external I put it away but i keep a firewire cable and the power cable wired to my desk.

(no hard drive)
22843597524_cd2588350c_c.jpg

with hard drive
22843748154_0ec31b44be_c.jpg

close up of hdd cables
23363575522_3aee6c09a7_c.jpg

If I'm going to be doing mucho computering I use a keyboard and mouse that otherwise stay in a box.

Same goes for phone charger/i device charger/card reader/extra cables.

I want to be able to have a clear desk I can write on without having to push all kinds of tech aside. I live in a small house so I can't really have any dedicated space to any one task.

Being able to remove my hard drive from the desk is the greatest, and having perma cabling for it to make it quick to get going is something I really enjoy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.