Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kobra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Hi,

I just noticed the new Griffin Standle ( http://store.apple.com/us/product/H2116ZM/A# ) I'm currently using the SwitchEasy Nude. I had a hard time to choose between the SwitchEasy and the Incipio Feather. The Nude is nice as it doesn't add any bulk, but I do miss the keyboard stand with the Apple case. The Griffin looks like a perfect match. Please report in if you've seen it in person or ifyou have tried it...

Kobra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
After reading the "first look" at iLounge I gave in and took the plunge. It will be here in 2-3 weeks time :) I plan to write a small review as soon as I get it. Stay tuned...

bigbro1096

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
After reading the "first look" at iLounge I gave in and took the plunge. It will be here in 2-3 weeks time :) I plan to write a small review as soon as I get it. Stay tuned...

Thanks because I'm getting my iPad next weekend and am looking for iPad cases

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
Is this the only kickstand styled plastic case you know of? I've looked for the last two days for something like this and only just found something like what I'm looking for.

Kobra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
The only other one I know of is the "Hard Shell" from HardCandy Cases. I looked at it on the 'net, but bought the Griffin. I'd like to try the HardCandy as well, might get it sooner if the Griffin is a bummer :rolleyes: The Griffin seams to offer better protection and it has the handle, the HardCandy case on the other hand is a bit slimmer and it has a hardplastic screen cover.... hmmm... :confused:

Kobra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
So, it came in the mail today :) First impressions are good, in fact more than good. I'd say it's the best case I've used so far, and I've used a few: Apple Case, Macally Bookstand, Macally Flexfitpad, Yoobao v2, HardCandy Sleek Skin, Be.ez LaRobe and the Targus A7 sleeve .... :rolleyes:

The Griffin Standle combines "the naked feel" with the "full case protection", it's only lacking in that it doesn't provide any screen cover. The edges of the case is raised a bit so that you can place the iPad screen down on a table without the risk of scratching it.

The case is made of hard and shiny black plastic, the case is actually two pieces that you snap together for a tight and secure fit. This case will protect against accidental drops. When using the case in a dim room, the case disappears or blends in with the black screen frame, very nice :) I think the case has a subtle and techno-modern look, it doesn't scream "look at me!". The case is rather slim and doesn't add any more bulk than your average silicone case. It's also surprisingly light, I haven't put in on the scales, but I'd say its no more heavier than the Apple case.

The back has two rubber fittings on each long side, they offer a secure grip. No risk of the iPad slipping out of your hands. The grips aren't sticky, so they won't attract any dust or grime. Excellent!

All ports and buttons are easily accessible. The cut outs are spotless. Bang on the mark.

The bottom short side, at the dock connector, opens up so that you can place the iPad in the Apple charger/stand without the need to remove the case. The flap is also designed to be used as a table stand for portrait viewing. I think it's stable, no worries about it falling down on its nose.

One of the rubber grips opens up and offers a handle for portability. The handle feels solid, no creaking or flexing. There are two small "flaps" on the back of the handle that you fold out so you can place the iPad in landscape mode for movies and such. If you turn it the other way round, you have a perfect stand for typing :)

This case will fit me perfectly. I'm a executive who run in and out of meetings all day long. Hands are full of notebooks, coffee cups and such. The handle on this case will offer a secure way for me to transport my iPad without taking claim of a full hand. While I'm in a meeting I'll use it in the typing position and when I'm back at my desk I'll place it in my Apple charger. At the end of the day, I'll let her slip in to my briefcase for the transport to my home. Very nice :p

All in all, four and a half thumbs up from me! I'd give it five if it had a nice screen cover. I'm happy with my purchase and I recommend you to give it a try :)

...sorry, no pictures. You'll find some good ones at the Griffin web site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.