Griffin Survivor or Otter Box Defender for iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ChinaAzzi, Feb 11, 2011.

1. ChinaAzzi macrumors regular

Just saw Griffin's new Survivor for iPhone 4, in my opinion they moved the design bar up a few feet for Otter Box's Defender. Finally a case that doesn't look like a box. I am sure more players will step into that high protection market. :)

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Interesting. Thought running over it with a car was a bit excessive but, oh well. It still looks like a box but, then again, none of these heavy duty cases will ever win a beauty pageant. The sealed ports look pretty nice too. The Seidio Rugged sorta has this but these look better for some reason. The holster is pretty unique looking to. Been needing to find a replacement for my Defender. Looks like it'll be this or the Seidio Rugged.

3. psyduckiee macrumors regular

The Survivor case is overkill for someone to carry around. It makes you look like a joke when you use it. Truly resembles a brick. :eek:

4. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

TC, I'm not sure what case you are looking at but that thing does look like a box.

Anyway, it looks fine, but like the Defender, the Silicone on the outside is really loose and will stick to the pocket as in the first "test".

I find it good that there is at least a case that makes the iPhone 4 as durable as an old Nextel unit. Seriously though, I wish companies would get away from the all silicone outer layer. The base layer of the Ballistic HC has it right in the integrated plastic and rubber that it has. That extra loose silicone is what lost me.

Anyway, I no longer have a need for a fully protective overkill style case but I see their appeal and usefullness. I'll stick to my Candyshell.

5. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

6. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Please do :D I need an over-the-top case for when I'm out snowboarding and there are about 3 other cases I have my eye on for that. Defender is out.

7. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

It may be a few days though, I have a few reviews still to write and I am a little backed up.

8. JASApplications macrumors 65816

9. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I'm waiting on Speck to release the Toughskin for the iPhone 4. That looks like a pretty good rugged case.

10. ChinaAzzi thread starter macrumors regular

Speck, Otter Box, Griffin all have the same formula. A hard plastic shell held together by a thick silicone cover. A simple approach to protection but at the same time very easy to copy in China. A plus is that Speck and Griffin managed to improvements on Otter Box's box design. I think Contourdesign's Showcase goes the extra mile. I like the idea that they placed the airbag inside the shell unlike Speck, Otter Box and Griffin who placed it on the outside of the shell and they have a cool method of holding the 2 haves together. I give Contourdesign an A+++, Speck an A, Griffin an A and Otter Box B+ . :)

11. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

I signed up for the reviewers list thing. They pick 10 reviewers at random each month for review products. If I get picked, I will pick up the Survivor and report back on it.

12. ChinaAzzi thread starter macrumors regular

I look forward to your review. Has anyone bought the Griffin casse yet? If so how do you like it?