Griffin Survivor remote case released

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by pjarvi, Dec 8, 2015.

1. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

2. aerre macrumors member

3. Che Castro macrumors 603

it looks different from before

@benjitek you going to get this ?

4. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Yes, they've changed it quite a bit since I previously posted about it last November when they originally announced it. I'm assuming they wanted to protect the lower smooth glass portion of the remote, provide more stay-on-the-remote functionality and have also made it considerably thicker. I like how now there's more of a visual indication of which half of the remote is top, less grabbing it the wrong way.

Yes... I did order it -- and I'm sure now that I have, it'll go on sale :mad:

5. 2010mini macrumors 68040

6. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

You can use discount code "PCFY15" to get 15% off ($3) right now.

7. JBaby macrumors member

JBaby

I just ordered it too. It will now go on sale next week. I signed up for their newsletter and got a code for $2 off. It's not exactly what I want, but it's close. I can't wait to get it.

8. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Yeah -- I think they realize that those of us who signed up for the release-day notification email are the ones who will pay full retail, they'll get the rest next week with a holiday price reduction o_O

9. furbzv1 macrumors 6502a

furbzv1

10. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

I like this design over the earlier one.

Just ordered!

11. JBaby macrumors member

JBaby

I just got my case! I just opened and installed it. First impressions are great! It adds great grip and thickness. It adds much needed weight to the remote, but it isn't heavy at all. It just feels like a remote now. It still lighter than a Dish Hopper remote. It may impede edge clicking. I'm not really sure yet. Truth is I always found the edge click to be awkward. When I want go back 10 seconds I just use Siri.

12. tecnho macrumors 6502

Showing 'Out of stock.'

Can anyone that has the case provide insight as to whether or not the side click is still functional?

13. Che Castro macrumors 603

I like the weight of the case makes the remote feel like a real remote
    But I don't like how the case wraps around over the touchpad
    It pushes the touchpad down so you get a soft click

You can still do the 30 second skip but your pushing down on the side of the case

i wish the case did not go over the sides and top of the touchpad
    Is like having an iPhone case that goes right up to the screen on the left and right side over the bezels

14. JBaby macrumors member

JBaby

Now that I'm used to the case I don't think it interferes with edge clicking because you don't have to be right on the edge to activate 10sec rewind/fast forward. I don't think edge clicking is awkward at all anymore because the remote isn't slipping out of my hand. I'm doing it more now than I ever did before.

15. tecnho macrumors 6502

Great, thanks for the feedback. All that's left to do now is wait for new stock after you and your friends grabbed them off the shelf so quickly

16. JBaby macrumors member

JBaby

You're welcome! We're an overzealous bunch. We HAD to swoop in and buy all the cases. Sorry!

17. dougw1025 macrumors newbie

dougw1025

18. thelead macrumors 6502

$20 seems a bit ridiculous... This should be ~$10.

19. thirdeyeopen666 macrumors 6502

thirdeyeopen666

Same here. Unfortunately the bottom corner of mine got chipped the day before it arrived. This hides it well. The extra thickness of the case makes for a really good feel.

20. JBaby macrumors member

JBaby

I completely agree, but I'd it do it again in a heartbeat. Hell I'd pay the full price for it knowing what I know now.

21. aerre macrumors member

I just got mine. I think that the fit is a bit odd. The top end of the cover makes pressing in the touch surface rather difficult. Like if the end of the cover had the touch surface constantly pressed. To have the perfect pressure point, I've had to lift the top of the cover to "free" the surface.
    Anyone had this issue? Thanks

22. JBaby macrumors member

JBaby

I don't have that issue at all. I still love my case.

23. ajiuo macrumors 65816

24. Che Castro macrumors 603

yes i have this issue
    the case should not go over the touch pad, bad design

i spoke with them on chat and they don't see a problem with it

25. winstars macrumors member

Almost everything I have is black, including my iPhone case. The white is easier to see although black might be better that white so to see it whilst its in the sheets/bedding... Possibly the High Vis color could be an option!!!

That aside, I like the Griffin case if only because I can now tell which end is which and it makes the remote less fiddley... and a big bigger...

I would like to think after a while we will have a great many choices in cases for the remote, although the whole "I am getting a case for my remote" thingy might be a best kept secret to certain friends!!!