Griffin Wave Case's Rigid Screen Protector

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by BruceEBonus, Jul 15, 2008.

1. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

If you have this case ... or something simlar then you'll know the Griffin Wave case with polycarbonate screen protector may give the feel of good protection but is it a false sense of security? I say this because although its definitely fitted as per the letter of the instructions ... there are massive/moving air bubbles underneath it. I can live with this but is this a 'normal' state of affairs .. did they mean it to do this .. and will it possibly damage the glass screen over time?

I rang my local Applestore and sadly got a bit of a twit answering who really wasnt up to speed with much. He told me someone else had brought one in for a refund for 'screen protector' probs and said it was a design fault. Im not so sure. So have emailed Griffin today ... we'll see what they say if anything.

And the other thing is .. tho' the Wave fits like a glove and is smart .. and the case doesn't move per se .. as neither does the screen protector against the glass screen underneath ... both protector and plastic case are .. at the end of the day - hard plastic ... against glass and plastic... no danger of long term scratches ? It is most worrying when a blase attitude tends to persist when matters such as cases are raised.

When you are protecting a £450 item .. its no laughing matter when theres no true guarantee that your pride and joy wont be a mess of wee scratches all over the place on the day you remove the case. This happened to my daughters 1st Gen Nano ... screen was in a right state! And it had been coccooned in it since day one ... oh dear oh dear.. and that was clear hard plastic!

Ta

Bruce

2. JamboUK macrumors member

Same as elan Form case I have fitted today. Has air bubbles under hard screen protector.

3. BruceEBonus thread starter macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

Thanks for getting back Zammo .. but is the air bubble syndrome an expected thing .. and will your hard case outer in time scratch the iPhone? I dont think it will but how about the screen protector thingy ... could the micro gap twixt protector film and iPhone glass do harm over time? Again I dont think so .. but suggestioins please ... meantime we wait for Griffin to reply!:rolleyes:

4. w00tme macrumors member

I had the same worries too. Hard plastic on hard plastic is not something that would be considered ideal. I chose to get an invisible shield and the wave case AND a power support film. waste of money? probably, but I dropped my first gen iphone a lot, so I'm trying to be good this time around.

5. BruceEBonus thread starter macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

Well I just wanna know if this wil be ok.. I can t see how it can scratch a casing if the plastic dont move .. its a very close fit and a great looking case otherwsie ... m Nokia 95 has a flappy over leather case ... which has done well .. but its not an easy choice!

I think meadowhoall Apple ar ejuping the gun a bit The same bloke who said to brin git back told me BT INternet doesnt support Push eMail. So I was chuffed to find out tonight they do!

COuld now do with a manual or instructional video to watch on the iPHone .. any ideas?

6. JamboUK macrumors member

To be honest - the air bubbles between the hard polycarbonate and the iPhone are unsightly at best..... so slightly disappointed there... maybe looking at getting screen protector film and taking the polycarbonate out completely.

7. BruceEBonus thread starter macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

Which would add to the cost ... the thing is because the interface is all screen with this phone .. its a bigger issue for example than a crap phone like the N95 ... I can live with air bubbles .. they move around anyway .. but no matter how nice it might look .. any danger of screen scratching .. not so good. Reading Google type reviews on the Wave/Elan .. theres surprisingly little or no mention of this 'syndrome'! Cant believe no one has noticed!

8. Prelude2Tragedy macrumors regular

I bought the wave case the other day but will probably return it due to the screen protector being horrible. Having same issues with the plastic not laying flat and also making the keyboard less responsive. I could live with just using the case which is great but for the price paid, I just dont feel it is worth the money without decent screen protection.

9. f1d macrumors member

I bought this case today, I really wanted a screen protector that didn't stick down, as I always get bubbles in the worst places.

But this is even worse! I was hoping it would be a tight fit, but it kind of sticks to the screen and these big bubbles move about!

That and as others have said, it is awful trying to get this case off and on. I don't think I've scratched my phone but not going to try it again! Also, it doesn't seem to totally fit properly, there are gaps where it meets at the top and a bit on one side.

This is going straight back to the Apple Store!

I think I'm just going to get a normal hard case and just go with protective film (bubbles or no bubbles!).

£16.95 as well, piece of tat!

10. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

11. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I bought the Griffin Wave on Friday to use on my new 3G iPhone.... I definitely do NOT like the plastic screen protector and promptly disposed of that. For the past year I have been accustomed to using my original iPhone with the screen "naked," providing the original tactile sensations that Apple intended. My first iPhone did not sustain scratches or any issues, as that tempered glass is pretty tough. The Wave case fits fine without the screen protector. Next I decided I don't like the front border piece, either.... So now I'm just snapping the back part on and using it that way.

12. BruceEBonus thread starter macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

Thanks Ms Moore (well, it does say you're a DEMI Goddess, geddit?. Ahem. Cheers for all the replies .. all concurring with my fears. Ok .. I agree the phone case IS a good fit but dont forget this wont just affect the Wave but the Elan hard shell thingy too! Dammit. Weird kind of faux pas on Griffin's part though. Looks like its another lengthy trip back to Sheffield for me. Do you think if I tell the shop manager I have had to make a 70 mile trip theyll leet me have a thirty quid case to compensate?. I mean .. s'not my fault and they have told me to return it asap!
    Also I will make sure theyre there when I remove it ... ANY damage and it'll be "new iPhone please"!
    I read somewhere where a 1st Gen iPhone was seriously marked after a year of use with a Belkin clear case and Belkin had to agree to cough up after the resultant state of the phone was a bit lamentable .. covered in scratches all over .. ironically cases are there to STOP the blimmin' things!
    So ... is this really an 'undocumented feature' .. IE a cock up! Or are we meant to overlook the wee air bubbles an admire the close fit?
    Well Griffin?. I think we should be told!

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I use the Wave case for my 1G iPhone. I don't use the screen protector and still have no scratches or other damage to my screen after several months of use. I got it mainly because it doesn't add much bulk to the iPhone and the phone is less slippery in this case.

14. mchank macrumors regular

Does your 1G iPhone freeze up at all while watching YouTube videos in the case? I've got a rubber case for mine and the phone has gotten very warm and frozen up a couple of times while watching YouTube. I'm looking for a new case but worried about heat retention.

15. cmiller2687 macrumors newbie

After watching PC Mags drop test on the 3G iPhone (screen shattered when dropped on concrete...), I've decided to go pick up the wave case, but I've already bought Power Support's anti-glare film for the 3G iPhone. I've heard rave reviews about it. I consider the 2 a $40 insurance plan on the phone.