Grills

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Zenithal, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Zenithal macrumors 68040

I need a new grill. Can't find parts for my current one and it's not worth it to have custom parts made or order universal. Is Weber a good brand? Also toying with the idea of having a grill and sink station built in my back yard just in time for summer. I've got a charcoal/wood grill for smoking.

2. dec. Suspended

dec.

Weber is great. We have had a Napoleon Prestige pro until now as we've sold the house, it was insanely good. The new one doesn't have a natural gas hook-up and the condo regulations are strict about gas lines, so we're getting a weber 310, they have an amazing reputation and I've used a similar model to the one we are getting at a friends place. You can't do anything wrong with weber.

3. D.T., Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016

D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Weber is definitely a go to brand for grills, but I've had them from every major manufacturer - Broil King, Brinkmann, Charbroil - and at the end of the day, the longevity, is probably a wash. We're also 2 blocks from the ocean (and 2 blocks from the intracoastal), so we do have a particular harsh, salty, windy environment, in fact, more recently I just go cheaper-ish because it's not going to last more than 12-18 months :D

What I'd like for our next grill solution will be what you mentioned: a grill/sink/kitchen type installation. Our friend across the street has this, and just replaces some of the hardware on occasion (there's a number of prosumer grade sources for component type grills), and it's awesome. We're having our deck rebuilt and instead of the wraparound section, we're going to just to stairs down to a new paver path that opens into a patio/grill area, should be pretty slick when it's all done.

Some folks swear by the Big Green Egg, I've invested a few times without purchasing, if I go with a standalone again (we will need a replacement for the summer, and the ultra-patio won't be done), I may look into them again. I think the size may be limiting.

4. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

5. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

My parents have a Weber-built in stainless grill at their home, as well as well as a pretty standard 3-burner model at our summer place in Rhode Island. Like D.T., in Rhode Island the salt and humidity ruin everything prematurely. We've had the same grill there for probably 10+ years now with zero issues. Our last weber grill was relatively problem free (probably 15+ years, I think the burner tubes were replaced at one point), before the wooden shelf parts of it began to rot. We ordered the replacement shelf/table (now made of composite), and moved it to one of our rental houses and she's still running. It was old but in better condition than a 5 year-old Charbroil.

The great thing about Weber is it is very easy to find replacement parts for them. So when something does wear out its just a matter of running down to Home Depot and picking it up or ordering online. I'm not sure how easy that is with other brands. Keep an eye out for the warranty offers too.

My parents looked at Viking, Wolf, Lynx, etc built-in models. They cost about 2x+ as much as the Weber, but hard to justify spending the extra money given the appreciable differences.

6. Zenithal thread starter macrumors 68040

Fancy that. The fancy standalone Webers I've been looking at top out at around 1800-2300.

The humidity we get is the sea breeze that carries over about 40 miles. But that's it. I have no idea what my current grill is. The name plate has worn over. There is some heat rot occurring in the burner plates right now. It isn't worth the money or time spent locating the parts when I bought this on sale, IIRC.

I have no idea what a Big Green Egg is, but that's the 2nd time I've seen it mentioned on this site. I'm still toying with the built in idea. My sons began crawling a while back and they'll start walking any day now in the next several months. Stand alone units are very easy to tip over unless they're extremely heavy. Otherwise they're top heavy, even with the propane tank in the cabinet. Baby proofing the house has been hellish.

I like the idea of a built in simply because I can put everything in the cabinetry or drawers. Smoking chips, utensils, thermometers, prodding fork, etc.

Thanks

I think I'll look at the review site above and make a decision. I'd been under the impression for years that the only "grill" Weber ever made were those little domes. Funny you say that. It's easier to find pro range hardware at stores than it is for GE and other brands.