Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Hey all!

I never played Grim Fandango back in the day, and I'm excited to give it a try. For those who have played it, is it better with a keyboard and mouse? Or does it translate well to a PS4 controller? I'm trying to figure out where to buy this thing... I'd prefer the living room experience of my PS4 if possible, but it seems like pointing and clicking might be preferable.

Thanks!

nerowolfe

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
Of all the classic PnC advanture games GFD's UI is the least point'n'clicky and easiest to modernize. PS4 version is fluid, you should have no problems playing it control-wise.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Hey all!

I never played Grim Fandango back in the day, and I'm excited to give it a try. For those who have played it, is it better with a keyboard and mouse? Or does it translate well to a PS4 controller? I'm trying to figure out where to buy this thing... I'd prefer the living room experience of my PS4 if possible, but it seems like pointing and clicking might be preferable.

Thanks!

Kind of like playing an obvious console game on a keyboard & mouse is never as good ... PC games are better played on the PC. But as nerowolfe noted, Grim Fandango is well suited to playing on most any platform.

I had played it back in the 90s on the PC, but right now I am actually playing it on my PS Vita! And it translates well to THAT interface!

You really can't go wrong. And if your preference is 'living room gaming' - go for the PS4 version.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Of all the classic PnC advanture games GFD's UI is the least point'n'clicky and easiest to modernize. PS4 version is fluid, you should have no problems playing it control-wise.

Grim Fandango didn't use a point and click interface though. I have it console because of that, if it was point and click I'd play it on the Vita instead (touchscreen rather than mouse).

droplink

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2014
Nice news, but why on earth did they not release this on iOS ?
Games like Grim and Full Throttle etc would be so good on an iPad.

Anyway, off to buy this. For the mac! :)

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Nice news, but why on earth did they not release this on iOS ?
Games like Grim and Full Throttle etc would be so good on an iPad.

Anyway, off to buy this. For the mac! :)

I can only imagine that it is coming soon ... would only make sense.

nerowolfe

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
Grim Fandango didn't use a point and click interface though.

Hence my describing it as least point and clicky. It was more akin to the original Alone in the Dark (sans the primitive polygons.) But because it retained much of what constituted classic PnC Lucas Arts adventure games back then a lot of people still think of at it as one, despite sporting a different UI and inventory system.

On a sidenote, wish they remake Day of the Tentacle. That game was hysterical.

Dr. Fred: ...and the nightmares would return.
Bernard: Is that why you drink so much coffee?
Dr. Fred: I haven't slept in two years!

AGX

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2014
Were I can find this game? I don't find it on the App Store

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
On a sidenote, wish they remake Day of the Tentacle. That game was hysterical.

They are! I'd also love to see them update Monkey Island on iOS (bit crash happy these days) and bring it over to new consoles too. Need more classic Lucas Arts games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.