Grindhouse made with Shake and Final Cut Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by connorhays, Apr 5, 2007.

1. connorhays macrumors member

It seems that Shake was used for quite a bit of stuff on Grindhouse and Final Cut Pro was used for editing on set. The cool thing is that the machine gun leg in the movie was made possible by Shake. Check out the full article on all the software used in making the movie.

2. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

Nice article I am going to see this film tomorrow. Shame the filmmakers are giving up on Shake for a PC based system.

3. WatchinTV macrumors newbie

Niice find. Ya, I'm hopefully going tomorrow to see it too.

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Honestly that movie looks terrible..when I first saw the ad, I thought it was a joke. No lie

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

It's an homage and a spoof simultaneously of those god-awful grindhouse movies of the 70's. I'm surprised they could get it done with a straight face. So, in a way, it is a joke, but we're all in on it.

Looks like Snake Plisskin's met his match! :D

6. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Well since Shake was EOL'd last summer this isn't a big surprise. Once 'Phenomenon' comes out, some post-houses that defect will come back. ;)

I want to see Grindhouse tomorrow, but I still need to see 300... maybe i'll go triple feature this weekend. :D

7. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I have the same idea, but with "The Lookout" and "Grindhouse."

8. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

I wouldn't mind seeing grindhouse if i didn't have to pay. I get it's "an homage and a spoof simultaneously" but still for $9 per person how can I justify seeing it... There aren't a lot of amazing movies out right now, but still I could justify $18 (me and he mrs.) on a bunch of other movies.

I wait for rental (maybe)

9. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Could't agree more. I despise the whole movie-going "experience". Used to be I'd go see a major release, or something that "needed" the big screen. Not anymore, it's just a mechanism to suck money.

Grindhouse should be seen at a drive in with crappy speakers and nachos and stale popcorn and hot dogs. In your pajamas. For two bucks a carload.

10. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

11. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

why too bad? they are completely revamping the code to make an amazing replacement for it... it's not like they are giving up on selling a top notch compositing app. If I remember correctly, Phenomenon is supposed to come out first half of next year (which screams NAB to me). It really isn't that far off.

12. dcr macrumors member

and After Effects and Premiere Pro and Flame and XSI and Combustion and Avid XPress and Digital Fusion and Maya and 3DS Max and Boujou and Brazil and...

;-)

Basically any VFX-heavy movie these days is farmed out to many places and just about every imaginable tool is used on them

13. WatchinTV macrumors newbie

Well, early reviews for Grindhouse seem positive. %86 on Rotten Tomatoes. Hopefully its good.

14. hardhatmac macrumors regular

hardhatmac

I totally agree...I hate tarantino...

15. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

And currently a 78 over at Metacritic.

16. heelie macrumors newbie

article errors

That "Making of Grindhouse" article really glossed over the filmmaking process.

First it mentions they shot on a "35mm camcorder" over HD. There is no such thing as a 35mm camcorder. It should have said 35mm motion picture film camera over HD.

Yes 35mm film is still better than HD. And for a high profile film like this film is easier for a number of reasons.

The other thing is that the article seems to suggest that they used Final Cut and After Effects to complete the post work on the set. That is completely wrong. What they used Final Cut and After Effects for was probably for reference shots and quick compositing to see if they shot the elements appropriately. Final Cut can be used to record the video tap footage coming off a film camera.

That method would then save money in reshoots or extra time in post to fix something that may not look as good if it were done right in the first place. Nevertheless, it is a good idea to do that on complicated films with a lot of xf shots.

Best

Tim

17. KillTheBunny macrumors newbie

Interesting that for the real edit they still cut on an Avid systems. Anyway, as has been pointed out most features use a ton of different software. The linked article is quite poorly written.

18. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Do you think we'll get the crappy ten minute film festival's on the special features?

19. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Nah...they'll probably release it only as part of a $200 box set with all the movies QT programmed at the New Beverly Cinema's Grindhouse revival program.

20. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

FWIW, Robert Rodriguez shot HD and Quentin Tarantino shot film.

I dig the New Beverly even though I haven't been there in a while. I mean, who can't like double features for $7?

Lethal

21. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Is the double feature or the theater restricted to grindhouse movies?

22. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Nope. All showings are double features (usually w/some sort of theme like same genre, director or lead actor) and they show everything from campy cult classics, to 40's film noir, to blockbusters from the 80's. Typically the runs only last for 2-3 days though before the print is shipped off to another revival theater.

Lethal

23. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Oh crap no way. Thats awesome! I didn't even realize I had drove by it before when I was on my way to a shoot. How exciting. Are there any other theaters closer to north Hollywood that is like this?

24. heelie macrumors newbie

Yeah, I just read on another forum that an Arri 35mm was used for the film portions and a Panavision Genisis was used for the HD portions.

That article really had things wrong.

25. Keebler macrumors 68030

I couldn't disagree more. sure, the prices may be a tad more expensive than the inflation rate, but c'mon...when you were only paying $5 of $7/ movie...you didn't think it was a mechanism then? newsflash: It's ALWAYS been a mechanism and ALWAYS will be. If you dload through Itunes or rent at the local video store...guess what.....bingo - still a mechanism. :) Just a lower cost one.

i can't wait to see grindhouse. sure, it looks hokey and terribly over the top, but that's what those movies used to be like and Hollywood hasn't made that type in a long time. So, by releasing a 'homage/spoof', they are showing it to new generations.

movies are about entertainment...nothing else. unfortunately, some ppl (not saying you here), take them way too seriously...they think flicks need to have a message or tell a deep compelling story.

movies are supposed to take you away from the normal grind of life for a few hours...forget about everything else and be entertained.

and i think that's exactly what grindhouse will do. it may not be the flick of choice for everyone, but i bet it's great.

cheers,
    keebler