Grindhouse

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Telp, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Who here saw Grindhouse? I saw it once in theatres and it was out within like 2 weeks. I thought it was brilliant, what does everyone else think?

2. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

It was very very good. Especially "Thanksgiving" and "Death Proof". It really took me a while though to digest the entire film. I'm most likely buying it on DVD.

3. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

I saw it and enjoyed it a lot. Then again, I spent a good chunk of my own teen years watching movies like that, in real "Grind House" theaters.

It was all there: The scratchy film, the film breaks and spots.. I really liked the fake ads for the restaurant. Ewwww! Loew's West End Cinema (used to be near the old Boston Garden) had a very nasty sub shop next door. You never really knew what you might get.

I will probably buy the DVD set. I just wish they would post those fake trailers, either at Apple's site, or at the movie site.

4. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

Yeah after seeing it i read up on Grind House theatres and found it very much like it was.

5. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

It was great! My only complaint was that it was a loooong movie. There should be a real intermission between the two parts for a bathroom break. I was squirming the last hour of the movie. I shouldn't have bought that large Coke before going into the theater.

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The movie was good.... went in there expecting over the top stuff and thats what I got...topped off with some beautiful women.

Bless

7. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

8. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

I thought about seeing it but we saw Blades of Glory instead. I have a feeling though, that this is a movie you'll need to see on the big screen to really appreciate.

9. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

It really is. I dont know how one could hate it unless its over their head. Too bad its out of theatres (atleast it is where i am), i would love to see it again, even for the length.

10. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Great movie. Saw it on opening night pretty late at night with a friend. Great crowd to watch a movie with, everyone was really into the movie. I think I might be going to see it again this weekend before they take it out of the theater around here.

And yes, I will buy it on DVD the day it comes out.

11. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

Telp, you can sort of experience a Grindhouse theater at the movie website, (High bandwidth needed)

Everything is there: The creepy lobby, the posters, even the spooky rest room. :eek:

http://www.grindhousemovie.net

Have fun, that's what the internet is here for.

12. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

13. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

Man thanks for that. That is very well done and overall very nice.

14. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

That was my only real serious complaint about it, even though the point is that it's a double feature, I think both features should have been a bit shorter.

Also, I'm not much of a fan of Tarantino's directing. The pacing in Death Proof was too weird for me, and a lot of the talking earlier on was just boooooooooooring (good opportunity to use the bathroom! LOL).

The fake trailers were super choice though. HATCHET!

15. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

That's interesting...If not just because Tarantino happens to be one of the best directors right now. And the dialogue was brilliant Tarantino dialogue.

16. bemylover macrumors regular

Wow, guys, you surprise me :) I saw it and hated it and so did folks in the movie theatre who just left before it ended.

I felt like Tarantino and Rodriguez just enjoyed themselves shooting not terribly funny episodes, which is perfectly fine as long as you don't ask people to pay for that. Now that I payed $22 to see this nonsense I feel cheated :mad:

One thing that I decided for myself is that I am not going to any other Tarantino movies. I think he reached his peak right before Kill Bill and now it's going to get only worse.

17. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

I'm sorry you feel that way about such a great film, but obviously most people thought what you think since it's playing in less and less theatres.

18. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Trantino one of the best directors right now?

Come on. I liked Pulp Fiction as much as the next person, but to say that some guy who takes almost all of his ideas from previously made films is one of the best directors right now is ridiculous.

Resevoir Dogs = Kubricks "The Killing" and "Ring of Fire"

Tarantino owes his career to both Kubrick and asian cinema. His movies are entertaining, and he does a good job copying others, but that's as far as I'd go.

Also, your comment about it being "over the heads" of people who didn't like it was insulting. Tarantino isn't a difficult director to "get". If somebody didn't like it, it's probably due to the obscene amount of useless violence and long drawn out pretentious dialogue that plagues most of Tarantino's movies.

19. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

Most people do owe there career to someone. Most of the actors in pulp fiction owe their career. And im just voicing my opinion, but for someone to think of it as useless violence doesnt really understand, in my opinion. I'm not saying your any less of an anything for not liking the movie, just saying i dont see how one couldnt.

20. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

Almost all movies made today are remakes of older movies. It's been going on for a long time. QT is not the first to get ideas from older movies. He won't be the last.

When "Alien" hit the screens in '79, it was hailed as "Brilliant!" and "Original" by a lot of professional critics. Hmm, guess they never saw "IT! The terror from Beyond space". That film was a staple of old, Saturday afternoon science fiction movie programs, when most UHF stations were still low-budget operations. Practically the same movie, just the monster is a stunt guy in a rubber suit.
    Link to wiki article

Just about every horror, action, drama, and science fiction film made today is lifted from an older film. That's just the way it is.

Of course, people are free to voice their opinions.