Grinding/buzzing noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fawnbones, Jul 29, 2012.

1. fawnbones macrumors newbie

For a week or so I've had a constant grinding noise coming from my MBP. It's centered on the left side of the laptop and it sounds to me like the fan is having issues. I took it to the genius bar today and they opened it up and cleaned it out (there was some dust), and said they couldn't see anything wrong with it. They offered to keep it overnight for observation but we all seemed to think that cleaning it out would be enough.

But there must be something wrong, because now that I'm using it, it's still making the noise. Did I get an incompetent tech? Is the noise just normal? Could this be something besides the fan? He ran a basic hardware diagnostic and everything came up green, but something could still be up, right? I'd rather not part with it to send it in for repair, but the noise is driving me insane and anything is better than hearing it for one more week. Does anyone have any ideas for possible fixes that wouldn't involve being away from it?

I have an early 2011 MBP.

2. harshw macrumors member

Had the same problem with my mid 2010 MBP: it's the fan. The best way to cure it was to open it up and tap/press the fan gently - this seemed to get the fan back into alignment and it stopped making that noise. It happened a couple of times in the past year. I understand about handing it in for repairs - but it's essentially the ONLY way to permanently cure the problem ( if indeed it is the fan )

But yes - when it makes that noise it is super annoying ! Can't use the MBP like that ...

3. SpazzyMac macrumors regular

SpazzyMac

I'm having the same issue right now :eek:
    started yesterday... :(

seeing the cost of 60 USD on iFixit for the left fan, is sad...
    better look it up on ebay.

I will try and poke it, will report back IF it fixes it

and having a class full of mac haters, this would give them another reason to bash on it if I don't fix it...

4. SpazzyMac macrumors regular

SpazzyMac

You're better off buying a new fan, if it's the same problem

The problem occurs when the Fan (in my case the left one) is spinning over 3000 rpm's it starts vibrating, since the fan is not aligned. and I can actually feel it vibrating when I touch the left corner, where the fan is.

I opened it op, poked on it a bit, it didn't help, opened op the fan, and there was no way to fix it. :(

I actually had the fan running, when I opened it. and removed it from the mbp, to open the fan itself, and that's how I could see that it was not aligned. :eek:

5. fawnbones thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info guys!

I'll pack a lot of reading onto an external hard drive and take it back in this weekend. :eek: I have applecare so the cost shouldn't be a problem.