Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

navier

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
Germany
After my initial skeptic about Jet Black being grippy, I went to the Apple Store and Holly Molly! It really does a difference!

I personally prefer the looks of the Matte Black and although Jet Black is very grippy, I really don't need 128 GB, and it is 110€ more expensive than the 32 GB...

I am thinking to either a Jet Black with a sleeve to transport the phone and to protect it when leaving on a table or an Matt Black with an Apple Silicon Case (Leather looks fantastic but I think it's slipperiest) ...and a Tempered Glass

Here is my question:

Compared to the naked Jet Black, does the Apple Silicon Case add a reasonable or equivalent grip to a Mate Black (or other color obviously)?

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
For the silicone case to be more grippy you'll need to use it for a few months

Kind of how the inside of the Sport band works

Reactions: navier

twisted_mind

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2015
Used an Apple official silicone case on my matt black 7 plus for a year. Played with a jet black for a couple of minutes at the store when buying the X (just to feel how grippy the jet black is).
My opinion the silicone case is miles ahead in grippiness than the JB. Night and day difference. Plus it has the added advantage of protecting the camera bump when laying down on a surface. To me personally the grippiness was so good that I could use the Plus one handed without a worry of it slipping off. That and the super nice feel in the hand was a winner. The silicone Apple uses is something really different compared to the el cheapo no name silicone cases you might get in the market. So do try to get a hands on at a store if possible.

powerocool

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I have jet black and silicone case here's the rank in terms of grip:

Aluminum < Leather < Jet Black* < Silicone

* depends on how moist your hand gets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.