Gripe: Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ready2switch, Apr 11, 2007.

1. ready2switch macrumors 6502

ready2switch

Okay, I have been looking at getting the Airport Extreme to replace my dying Belkin router and to act as a print server once I get my MBP and finally retire my dying Dell Dimension 4300 (yes, it seems all my gadgets are dying). My goal is to have a completely wireless household (2 laptops, networked printer) with no actual "desk" taking up space. I am also looking into getting at least one external HDD for backup/extra storage. So then why is it the Airport Extreme only comes with ONE USB port. It has 3 "10/100 LAN" ports for "computers and devices" but really, is this still a meaningful use of space? Shouldn't it come with 2 or even 3 USB and only 2 or 1 LAN ports?

Please tell me, am I asking too much here? It's not like I'm wanting a FireWire 800 port on the thing (although that would be good too :p ). Is there something in the technology or maybe the power capacity that makes this impossible, or did Apple just forget to redesign that part of their newest Airport?

Yes, I know I could get a hub, but why should this be an acceptable work-around when I'll have THREE unused LAN ports wasting my precious space? :mad: :( :p

2. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

While you can easily (and cheaply) purchase a USB hub, its harder to split only one LAN connection into more (you'd basically be buying a second router).

[​IMG]

There's some space on the sides, but my guess is that it would not be usable space. If you compare it to the Mac Mini, it has about the same amount of space on the sides.

[​IMG]

So, long story short, if they had to pick between more USB ports or more LAN ports, LAN ports make more sense. Plus, it is a router first...

I'm not saying you're not correct though, I'd love more USB ports. I just think this is why Apple did it...

3. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I agree, they should have at least 2 USB ports on this thing. Very odd indeed. Then again, Apple always wants the consumer to buy more...

From Apple's site: "...You can even connect multiple drives and printers using a USB hub (sold separately)."

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Wait. If you can connect a printer and a hard drive with a USB hub, why not just daisy chain the printer into the hard drive? Most USB hard drives have two USB ports on the back so you can daisy chain other devices through them. That'd accomplish the same thing. :confused:

5. bmb012 macrumors 6502

I thought externals only daisy chained through firewire... that's how mine is, at least.

6. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Well, you could definitely get one of the Mac Mini-shaped/styled external USB 2.0 enclosures and put a drive in there. Most of those have integrated USB hubs that'd work for connecting the printer to. And, since the Mac Mini is the same square shape as the new AirPort Extreme, you could put it underneath the APE and be done with it. Very unobtrusive. :)

7. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Certainly I see your point, but I can't see use beyond 2 USB ports. I'd happily have one for a printer and one for a hard drive, but I'd still prefer networked hard drives for file sharing, (been looking into it a lot recently for future use).

Never mind modifying a router for more consumer based use, I'd prefer Apple to make smaller and dedicated devices for AirTunes and wireless printing. Sure I could get an airport extreme and use my express for either of these, but I'd have to then purchase another express for the other task. £30/$40 for a device that does just one of these tasks would be spot on for most.