Gripes, i'm torn!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by HBOC, Dec 9, 2009.

1. HBOC macrumors 68020

Ok, so my stock HD is over half full, but it is slowing up! My iTunes library (85GB) is on there, so I am sure that doesn't help speed things up.

I have read great things about the WD scorpio drives on NewEgg. People say it is almost as fast as the 7200RPM 500GB version, some say it is slow. Obviously it won't get 100% good reviews, as nothing does.

So bottom line, What is a safe bet to go with? Id be willing to spend $20-$30 more to get more storage.. ie; 500Gb 5400 rpm WD is $89, the 500GB 7200RPM drive is $100ish, and the 640GB WD is $119.

I only want to buy one HD, so future proofing is important. I have one 500GB LaCie External now, and will probably just use my 250Gb as an external as well for now.. I always have trouble making a decision about these things..

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

there's absolutely no reason for a half full drive to start slowing up.

You iTunes library doenst do anything but take up space, it doesnt sap the performance of you drive.

Im not sure what you are asking? Do you want to replace your internal drive with something larger? If so, what kind of mac do you have? (looks like a portable?)

You could always move your iTunes to your external, no problem running it that way. Of course, you wouldnt have your music when you are on the go...

3. HBOC thread starter macrumors 68020

oh yeah sorry..
    here is what i have:

MBP in my signature with the 250GB 5400RPM drive. I am getting spinning beachballs more frequently. It has 4GB of RAM. I have an external LaCie that has movies, video projects, many photos, photoshop, illustrator, after effect projects, backup of my internal drive, etc.

I want a larger/faster drive for my internal drive, and also NEED a new external dedicated to just my movies, music and photos. The internal is more important right now, as i could move my internal to an enclosure and use it for back up for now..

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Theres nothing in your sig about what you have?

I think any of the drives you listed would be fine.

Its the WD Blacks that are faster, if you really think you need/want the speed, I would just do it now.

Is that the older MBP or a new Unibody? Older ones are a PITA to get into...

5. HBOC thread starter macrumors 68020

oh, i guess i took it out, lol. yeah it is a 2.5GHZ 15" pre-unibody MBP.

I have looked at ifix it, i hope it isn't that hard to get into:(