Grooveshark

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cclloyd, Jun 22, 2012.

1. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

Why exactly does it need to be on Cydia and can't be on the real app store?

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

3. cclloyd thread starter macrumors 68000

cclloyd

Cause they would totally respond to a random jailbreaker asking a question about somebody else's app.

Seriously, anyone know or have an idea why?

4. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

I'm sure there is a reason, even if it's as simple as subscription apps being frowned upon in the app store.

Of course you can listen to it all for free at http://html5.grooveshark.com and on non-jailbroken safari no less.

5. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Well, according to wikipeidia, it's currently facing lawsuits complaining about copyright-infringement. Lawsuits filed in U.S. courts by all the major music companies, namely EMI Music Publishing, Sony Music Entertainment, Warner Music Group, and Universal Music. Also apple got several copy-plaints.

6. j.dstasio macrumors 6502

j.dstasio

Several years ago, Grooveshark submitted an app to Apple and it was rejected. Feeling a bit insulted, Grooveshark decided to just release the app to jailbreakers. A couple of years ago it made a brief appearance on the App Store but was pulled again a few days later due to a dispute with a record label.

7. breezyf808 macrumors regular

I believe that it took away from apple making money off of iTunes.
    When u actually look at it, with grooveshark, you have an unlimited library of music that u don't really need to pay for (only subscription) and listen to them anyhow, anyway unlike pandora (which is only predetermined and can't really be controlled)
    Well that threatens the opportunity for apple to gain anymore money from customers who buys music from them.

IMO, and this is what I think

8. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Apple pulled it from the App Store because GrooveShark, as awesome of a music app it is, unfortunately blatantly breaks copyright laws. As an end user, I can listen to music on other end users' devices and can also download the songs for offline playback. The record labels don't like this approach to music playback and sharing, to say the least.

I really think GrooveShark is one of the best music apps, if not the best. I love how I can listen to anything popular, or extremely obscure. It's a great music app.