Groovy Stand Review and Pic

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by DaBrain, May 13, 2010.

1. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

Well I finally received my order for the Groovy Dual Black Wide Groovy Stand.

Ordered it on 4/19/2010 and received it today 5/13/2010. Order was shipped from St-Augustin, QC, Canada with a small shipping charge of $3.95 US.

Cost is $18.95 for this model which has wider grooves, allowing for cases such as the Belkin Grip Vue or a similar case.

It's a simple but useful product made and routed out of a block of wood.

It has 2 slots, one that holds the iPad at a 18 degree angle and the other slot holds the iPad at a 45 degree angle.

IM a bit disappointed in the finish or should I say the lack there of! There are several places that is easy to see where the bare wood shows and in a few places where there just isn't any stain! This really appears to be rushed and the finish is very uneven. I had hoped for a better quality product.

The stand functions fine and that part I do like. However, it would have been nice if they would use a rubber backing on the bottom of the stand to prevent slippage. On most surfaces the stand slides way too easy and one could easily slide it off the table and that would not be good! Either that or some very flat rubber feet in each corner. Im going to attach a few to my stand. I bought a whole pack retail for $1.50 at Wal-Mart. (30 in a pack of different sizes).

If a bit more time was spent on a quality even finish, with some type of rubber grip on the bottom of the stand, I would rate this product a 9 on a scale of 1 - 10.

However from what I received I would rate this product a 6 for looks, an 8 for functionality and shipping time a 3.

In my email to the Groovy Stand people, I would asked that they disclose their location to the prospective customer on their website and the shipping method employed.

See Pics below:

Attached Files:

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

WOW :eek:

thats very sexy!

one question: what is it made of? will it mark the ipad with constant pressing etc?

3. DaBrain thread starter macrumors 65816

DaBrain

Dofo:

It's a simple but useful product made and routed out of a block of "wood".

Because it is a stain and absorbed into the wood I don't foresee a problem. Now if it was paint perhaps. ;)

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

fair call. i was just thinking that if you press on it quite hard whilst its in the holder it may mark it slightly etc - or if it gets slide horizontal or anything...

i guess its more of a stand for using with a keyboard or just as a holster.

5. DaBrain thread starter macrumors 65816

DaBrain

The way it rests in the Groove most of the pressure on the iPad would be on the back of the iPad and with a case like the Belkin I use here, I don't foresee a problem. Also because of the case gripping it doesn't slide in the Groove at all. However, I would Highly recommend some stick on flat rubber feet so the stand does not slip on the surface it is on

Oh and yeah it's great with a blue tooth keyboard.

I do a lot of reading and this is a pretty good stand for that!

No problem touching the screen either and the stand does not block the home button.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

aahh wonderful thanks for that input! :)

7. DaBrain thread starter macrumors 65816

DaBrain

Your welcome! Sorry about the pics but this was my first attempt doing a review and adding pics. ;)

8. DaBrain thread starter macrumors 65816

DaBrain

Just an update after almost 1 week of use.

I have been using this both at work and at home. It's easy to carry with me. However, Im going to order another one for work and use the current one at home.

Typing is really nice and the stand is firm. Both the 18 and 45 degree angles work out great!

I can use my power adapter in landscape or portrait with no problem.

For the price I don't think it can be beat! I tried the picture frame but for me it just wasn't stable enough!

Depending on what your needs are, the Groovy stand starts at $14.95 and goes up to $18.95 plus shipping which for me was $3.95.

A very simple design at a very reasonable price. So if you have not found a stand that your happy with, you may want to consider the Groovy Stand!

I have no ties with the mfg. Overall just a happy customer. ;):D:)

9. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

I live in Montreal, so the vendor's actually fairly close to where I am, probably shouldn't take long to get here!

I also ordered the dual, in brown, came to about $21 Canadian or $20 US. This looks like a really good concept, and judging from your comments, it works well too.

:)

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

May have to see about a c0-worker at work that does woodworking doing something like this for me. Something that will take the Apple iPad Case....

11. DaBrain thread starter macrumors 65816

DaBrain

Let us know your impressions when you get it! The more I use mine the more I appreciate it, it's cost and both angles.

Both my folks are from Canada, one is from Montreal and the other from Ottawa. Spent most of all my younger summer school vacations up your way at our cottage at Lac Ste Marie. What a beautiful area and the fishing was awesome as were the people!

Best to you and enjoy your iPad! Got mine on 4/3 via pre order and use it ALL the time. ;)

12. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

I will let you know, I'm anxious to get it as well. They just informed me today that shipping to Canada REQUIRES FedEx shipping and I need to add it for 9.95. Suffice to say I'm not impressed by the fact I ordered last week and just now they tell me I need to pay more to get it. Shipping is now up to $14.95, the same price as the stand, which is a shame, so I'm hoping it was worth dishing out $30 for a piece of wood. From your impressions, it looks like it's indispensable to you, so I might be able to swallow the $30 for a piece of wood easier. :)

As for your folks, that's interesting, considering you're living in PA as of now. Lac Ste Marie is a great place to go, you're dead on with that.

Thanks for the kind words, I will be sure to enjoy it, I'm already obsessing about getting it as it is. Last time I obsessed so much and prepared so much in advance (apps, books, tv shows, wallpapers...yes, even wallpapers :D) it was for my 24" iMac. :rolleyes:

Question about the stand, if you don't mind: how usable is it in "typing" mode. I know it's slanted, but is it slanted enough that you can reach out and tap away some messages or do your hands need to be angled vertically? also, do you find it's hard to place the stand on your legs and watch videos? Or does it just tip over?

13. DaBrain thread starter macrumors 65816

DaBrain

Wow! I'm amazed that they want that much for shipping to You as these guys are locate in Canada and not very far from you! Shipping to me in the states was only $3.95!

It would be kewl if you had or know some one that had a router as this stand would be very easy to make.

Sounds to me their getting a little greedy!

Also I found the same as you, that they are very poor communicators.

As to typing, I can type with either angles with no problems.

I just tried the iPad on my lap with the stand. With both legs not really comfortable or practical. Resting it on one leg was much better, but honestly I find just holding the iPad while it rests on my leg, much better then with the stand! Remember this stand has slots that the iPad just rests in the groove and it doesn't grip well so the stand can easily fall off when resting on something like your leg.

Based on what you tell me they are now charging, I think I will find someone locally to make another one for me as I can not justify over $30 for a block of wood that has 2 grooves routed.

Best to ya your way! If you need any dimensions/measurements let me know. ;)

14. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Shipping????

I ordered a groovystand 10 days ago, paid an extra $9.95 for FedEx and have not heard a word from this company except the Paypal receipt. They have not been on their Twitter account for over a month. I emailed them last week with no response. I realize that this is not their day job but an email response is not difficult to do.....

Update:
    Finally got an email response and tracking number, should be receiving my groovystand via FedEx today.

Update 2:

Received my groovystand today. I could nitpick about the finish but mine is better than the OP's.
    The stand is a simple piece of wood like the pics posted but it's cheaper for me to spend the money then get one made locally. My time is too valuable to organize that VS paying a small amount of $. I bought the same model as the OP, the wide dual and it fits perfectly. I really like the 18 and 45 degree angles that they settled on. It's perfect for my needs, aside from the shipping confusion, they said I should have received an email. I will be recommending this to everyone I know bc it's perfect for using in the kitchen, charging at the computer, and soon, nightstand movie viewing :)

15. DaBrain thread starter macrumors 65816

DaBrain

Good to see you got yours! I have someone locally making me another one as they have the tools and like you said the time--)))

I still like mine and use it all the time. It's very simple yet very effective and a heck of a lot cheaper then others I have seen.

What color did you get and what was the total price including shipping?

Have a Good one! ;)

16. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Amen to that. I also got owned by the extra shipping 10 days after I ordered. I love their product, but their professionalism leaves much to be desired.

Hey! I forgot to let you know what I think of it. I got it a few days after we last spoke in this thread, and the finish was better than the one in your pics. I ordered the brown one, looks pretty slick, and works incredibly well. My only gripe is that I wish the groove for typing was a bit more curved, it's still a bit too vertical for my liking, but it's not like I'll use it for typing much anyway.

If I need to make another one someday, I will hit you up on your offer...but I don't think I'll be needing another one. Let us know how your new one works and looks! :)

Cheers!