Grounding question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Prodo123, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I know I've been a big advocate of grounding yourself before swapping components, but I had a revelation. The outer pins of the MagSafe are ground pins, and the MacBook Pro is made of metal. Does that mean you can ground yourself simply by touching the unibody frame, or do you still need a wristband?

2. simsaladimbamba

Touching the frame will suffice, no need for a wristband (the first time I heard of this). I opened my Unibody MBPs several times and never needed more than to touch the frame, just make sure, you are not standing on a carpet I guess.

3. Prodo123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I live in a carpet floor house, so yeah...
    Also, PC building background gets this grounding paranoia imprinted in your mind, so gotta make sure. Thanks :)

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

All you need to do is touch the frame and then not move your feet after. I’ve never used a wrist band. Also, always have your computer plugged in, but off, or it’s not grounded.

5. Shawnpk macrumors 6502

Even if your computer is plugged in, it might not be grounded. Grounded means connected to the ground. Some electrical systems in older homes are not connected to ground and therefore are not grounded.

6. lindstedt56 macrumors regular

I have worked with computers on a regular basis for 10+ years and never had any problems with frying a component.

7. ddavid macrumors regular

If it is plugged in it is not grounded unless the 3 prong cord is used instead of the 2 prong wall wart attachment. In fact, I'm not even sure if the 3 prong cord is using the buildings grounding.

8. Shawnpk macrumors 6502

A 3 prong cord means there should be a grounding system in place, but doesn't necessarily mean there is a grounding system in place. There are a number of ways to check if a grounding system is in place but the easiest way is to purchase a plug tester. It will tell you if your receptacles have a ground in place and whether your receptacles are wired correctly. They cost around $4.

9. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

Even with the 3-prong plug Macbooks (Pro) are usually not grounded properly (at least not any I ever tested).