Group list of emails in Mail by the date received

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by franmatt80, Jan 11, 2010.

1. franmatt80 macrumors 6502a

Hi there.

I've recently switched from using Outlook 2007 on Fusion on my MacBook Pro to the native apps in OSX, to try to move away from having to run Windows on my machine. I decided against using Entourage as I have experienced a lot of problems with crashing and slow speeds with my Exchange server email.

I'm really happy using Mail/Address Book/iCal now I have tweaked it all a bit. I've visited the Hawkwings site to download a bunch of useful Mail plug ins, and have converted to 3 pane viewing.

I would dearly love for the emails to be grouped by date, as they are in Outlook, to avoid the unbroken list of emails that I currently have. I have experimented with Smart mailboxes and rules to colour the emails so I can differentiate between received dates, but find these arrangements either impractical or fussy to look at.

I receive so many emails all day, I'd really like to have an easy-view layout. The ONLY thing I miss from Outlook. Is there a plug in or similar that would create this for me?

Many thanks for your help.

MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can sort e-mails by date by clicking the "Date" column header in Mail, not sure what exactly you mean by "emails grouped by date"- you can't sort a subset of messages unless you put the selection in a local folder.

What do you mean by easy-view?

3. franmatt80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm after the layout that both Outlook and Entourage have - where the list of emails is divided into groups rather than just being a long list of emails without any breaks. It makes it much easier to look through your email list. In Outlook and Entourage and you can specify what these are (I use 'Date received')

I much prefer using Mail to Outlook /Entourage, just looking for this one little thing that would make it a perfect user experience! I know I can't do this natively, which is why I'm looking for a plug in or similar that might create this for me....