Group message with three iOS devices and a dumb phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by richwoodrocket, Jul 28, 2014.

1. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I have three other friends that I want to make a group chat with. One friend has an iphone like me, another has an iPod touch 5th gen and iPad mini, and the last one has a samsung dumb phone.
    Is there any way we could all be in a groupchat together? Currently if I make a groupchat with everyone in it, it defaults to a group mms, and thus all the messages get emailed to the iPod touch and iPad instead of going through the messages app like how I would like. Does anybody have a solution to this problem? We currently have been using google hangouts app but prefer the messages app if there's a solution. The only thing I like better about the hangouts app is that I can use hangouts from any of my devices including my PC, but it's a little more clumsy compared to the stock message app.
    Thanks.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Google Hangouts is your best bet. You can't send iMessages to a non-Apple device and you can't send texts to a device that doesn't have a phone number.

You could ask your friend with the Samsung dumbphone to upgrade?

3. richwoodrocket thread starter macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Trust me, I've tried lol. He's still got a year to go on his phone contract though.

4. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

groupme app is probably your best bet works on basically all platforms and can be used to interact with dumb phones too.

Details on SMS integration

I use the app for my family as well as a few other groups including many international people and have no issues with it.

5. richwoodrocket thread starter macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Group message with three iOS devices and a dumb phone?

Here's a little update to this. I forced my friend with an iPod to get a galaxy s5 so we just use group mms. Works good.

6. tpr007 macrumors regular

tpr007

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Plenty of apps like that, but that requires everyone participating in the conversation to have and use them.

8. richwoodrocket thread starter macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Yeah and you can't exactly do that on a dumb phone.
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone.