Group texting on iPhone??

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by nigelivy, Nov 6, 2009.

1. nigelivy macrumors member

Hi,

Are there any iPhone apps out there that allow you to choose an entire group in one go, when sending a group text? I send group texts out on a weekly basis to up to 100 people. I have all the contacts in one group which I organize automatically by using smart groups in Address Book. It is incredibly time consuming and irritating not being able to choose an entire group, and having to choose individual contacts to add to the address field.
    Has anyone tried to write an app like this? Is it feasible?

I have written iPhone apps in the past, and would write it myself. I just thought I might ask everyone on here if it's been tried to save me the time of researching...

Thanks for any input,

Nigel

2. vettori macrumors 6502a

If you want to send "regular" SMS i.e. the same SMS you can send to single recipients using the phone then you can't unless you have a jailbroken phone.

My app [app]ABContacts[/app] can do group sms but you need to have installed biteSMS or iRealSMS to actually send the sms and both are available only for jailbroken phones. (The app has a lot of features, I'm proud of it :) )

The problem is that Apple does not implement multiple recipients on the SMS: protocol. So there's no "regular" way to send sms to more than one recipient. You even can't copy-paste a list of numbers on the text app because they are recognized as a single recipient.

Other apps may exist that send SMS using some gateway or external service.

3. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Seriously? I had no clue.... i use multiple recipients almost daily on my Treo. What a PITA! (especially before copy & paste came along to at least make it so you don't have to type the whole message again)

4. vettori macrumors 6502a

You can send a sms to more than one recipient but you have to pick them one at a time...

I really don't know and probably never understand WHY they have done this...

5. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

So it doesn't auto-fill when you start typing? (like mail does?). I do that on the Treo, just type a D to pick my dad, hit enter, then S for my mom.

Huh, good thing i don't like AT&T! LOL!!! From the screen shots i've seen on the SMS app, i apparently have other issues with it too. Yes, i did spend time looking at this a few weeks ago for some stupid reason. :eek:

BTW, i'm still getting used to the new icon for Album Covers :p You went total change instead of color change!

6. vettori macrumors 6502a

The list of recipients is autofilled but think about sending a sms to 100 people once a day ;)
    I hope you like it, there was too much discussion on the right colors so I simply removed them :p

7. GADeputy macrumors newbie

GADeputy

8. vettori macrumors 6502a

^^^

Yes but does it send regular SMS like you sent them from your phone ?

9. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

oh, I have this! Used it once even.

It doesn't work with all carriers, but yes the text was normal. I didn't register it to my phone number so it didn't look like it came from there, I wanted replies to go to the touch.

I concluded it was easier to send from my phone to take advantage of the free mobile to mobile texting. But I have it on here still in case it really need it. Would have used it in the hospital the other night to keep family informed if I hadn't been able to get a cell signal.

10. sean9 macrumors newbie

Vettori, do you mean ABGrouper? I have that app, but can't find ABContacts. Or perhaps I need a different source (I've installed all sources...)

I haven't bought bitesms or irealsms, but I had thought of it.

o Which do you think is better?
    o Which is more integrated?
    o Do they both support quick reply?
    o Any other concerns or issues with either?

Maybe I should just buy both.

By the way if anyone is interested. I have a hack which will work on any iphone. Create an SMS and use the + sign to add each contact from your GROUP. Once you are done, compose your message, and send. First time it is manual, yes. But KEEP THAT MESSAGE in your sms app, then whenever you want to send to that group of contacts, just use that original thread. Seems simple enough, but it was a happy coincidence when I noticed that would work for me.

I still find it incredible that they had programmers doing the SMS implementation who clearly don't use SMS. Granted Apple was trying to be visionary here, and their dev focus was obviously on safari and ipod features with SMS on the backburner, but it smacks of arrogance...

anyway, fingers crossed on this bitesms or irealsms solution!!

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

If you do "group" texting why not just shoot off a group email ? :confused:

Don't the other phones do email ?

12. alfred1986 macrumors member

Try the software provided in smartcode.com...It is completely free of cost :)....

I didn't checked it...so i don't know is it suitable for normal iPhones... My guess is Jailbroken phones only allows to use it...

13. vettori macrumors 6502a

My app ABContacts is on the app store :) just follow the link below or go to www.redbits.com

<advertising>
    By the way ABContacts is considered one of the best contact manager, it's not very succesful on the app store but the other day a user that contacted me for assistance told me that when it was at an Apple store the Apple guys told them about ABContacts as the best contact manager, and this makes me happy and proud :D
    </advertising>

At the moment biteSMS seems to be a lot more popular for ABContacts users. Just check their sites for more info.

14. goatlady macrumors newbie

I have ABContacts and I made a group, but I can't add the whole group to the send field. It just brings up all the group members and I have to add them one by one. I've tried this for both text and email messages. What am I doing wrong?

15. vettori macrumors 6502a

Just double tap on the group name to show the quick actions for the group! It also works for contacts.
    Please take a look at the user's guide on www.redbits.com, there's also a couple videos.

If you need further help, please write an email to the support address abcontacts at redbits dot com

Thank you !!

16. Bob Singleton macrumors newbie

As a (new to iPhone) UK user too, I am frustrated that I am unable to send a text to a group without having to add each individual member of the group one by one in the "To:" box. Every week I send several texts to various groups of 300+ Until last week when I was using a BlackBerry 9700 that wasn't a problem. I chose the group in my menu, selected "send SMS", wrote the message and then clicked SEND. Hey presto, the text message would be sent to each and every member of the group.

The only "solutions" I have seen are far from what I would call a solution... for a start, most are written for the US and Canadian markets only, are restricted to 50 contacts and use some form of free service using a North American network, so are of no use to the rest of the world. As part of my bundle I have unlimited free texts, so paying for an alternative "solution" whereby I log in to a web site, type my message and then send the message to my group at 0.5p per message is not one I consider viable... i would be spending over £20 a week on top of the £30 a month contract with Orange. The "alternative" is for me to spend an hour or so adding each and every contact in my 300+ group, send the text and then remember NOT TO DELETE IT so that I can use the same "text history" to resend messages in the future.

I was under the impression the iPhone was a serious business tool, not an expensive gimmick!!!

I switched to an iPhone the other day, when I was offered an upgrade, because my BlackBerry would never sync properly with my iMac or MacBook. I thought having an iPhone would solve many of my problems (such as the fear of losing 1200+ contacts if anything went wrong with my BlackBerry)

Instead I find that I have a so called modern tool that is no better than a phone I had 15 years ago!

As for the poster who said "If you do "group" texting why not just shoot off a group email ?", in the first place not everyone has a phone that accepts emails, and if you are trying to tell a large group of people, some of whom who may be unable to receive emails, that an event they may be on their way to attending has been canceled at the last minute, the quickest and simplest solution is to send a text message.

We in Europe, who send far more text messages per head than those in the US, understand what a valuable business tool an SMS text can be... what a shame Apple don't!!!

My only solution, and one that may seem unpalatable to many here (it certainly is to me as a Mac user for many years) is that I'm going to return my 5 day old iPhone as not being fit for purpose and carry on using my BlackBerry. And sadly, because of the syncing problems, I will also be swapping my iMac and MacBook for Windows PCs... a retrograde step in many ways, but from a business point of view I see no other solution.

SHAME ON YOU APPLE!!! But then, I suppose that's what we should expect from a company that started making computers but now makes mobile juke boxes... what do they know about phones?????

17. beaver789 macrumors newbie

Iphone Basically a Failure in SMSing groups

Triple shame on Apple. There have been threads for yonks begging them to do something about the problem of SMSing to groups on the Iphone, in a user friendly way. If there is a facile solution it isn't obvious. Where is my blasted old NOKIA? :mad: You can't run a business which doesn't respond to multiple and noisy clamours for change. A lot a glitz without attention to the obvious. Just bought my iphone, but am disappointed in this particular. How many other obvious issues do they overlook? This raises an important issue for Apple. A large part of improvement is analysis of areas to improve. If windows has more users it will have more clientelle to point out areas for improvement. So one might expect a faster response to larger number of problem reports. But... I am a dedicated apple user. After buying an iphone I am wondering, again, whether Apple is too focused on glitz and glamour and have forgotten the obvious. Apple should do something to remedy this problem. No amount of planning can overlook the suggestions of the people. Maybe the emperor has no clothes.

18. bstpierre macrumors 6502

19. vettori macrumors 6502a

If you are willing to pay SMS to a third party, using ABContacts and SMS touch apps on regular iPhone (not jailbroken) you can easily send SMS to groups (see [app]ABContacts[/app]) for details.

20. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I'm pretty sure they did. Didn't they release an API for developers to integrate SMS's into their apps?

21. vettori macrumors 6502a

Yes but we can't discuss it until is out of beta ;)

22. Bob Singleton macrumors newbie

Why should I pay a third party to send my SMS when I get unlimited free SMS as part of my contract???

Bottom line is that Apple should design a phone that, as a minimum requirement, offers the same facilities as every other phone on the market. Other than the iPhone, can you name me one model of phone where you cannot send multiple texts to a group by just choosing the group, writing the message and pressing send?

The iPhone is seriously flawed. It's a great toy for spotty seventeen year olds, but it's not a business tool and until they address the issue I will not be buying an iPhone.

P.S. I downloaded your app when I did have an iPhone briefly for a few days... what a waste of money that was. USELESS!!! You'd be better employed making your app work than shamelessly advertising it in these forums!

23. Bob Singleton macrumors newbie

24. vettori macrumors 6502a

Why don't you tell me what you didn't like ? Fortunately there are thousands users that find ABContacts very useful instead. Maybe you need some help using it ? If you want I'm here to help, just ask. I'm one of that kind that answers to all support emails.

Well it seems they do. With iOS4 you'll be able to send group sms using your contract. With ABContacts, or, if you still don't like it, any other app that will use the new OS feature.

25. Bob Singleton macrumors newbie

You don't read what others write, do you? Otherwise you would know I returned my iPhone and have continued using a BlackBerry. As for your app; 1000s of happy customers??? I would suggest you look at your ratings as far more people are dissatisfied than happy with it!

Why should I need to buy an app for a feature that is common on every other phone?

In the next generation of iPhone would I be able to, WITHOUT having to buy an app from a third party, select a GROUP, write just ONE message and when I click SEND it goes out to everyone in that group?

If not, then they haven't been listening. If yes, then they're several years too late, as I have now lost all confidence in Apple! The iPad is yet another example of style over substance. It's a piece of flim-flam that can only ever appeal to morons and geeks. What a shame they've spent so much time designing that instead of putting right basic errors in their other products first!