Group texting quickie question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by firemedicmark, Feb 14, 2012.

1. firemedicmark macrumors 6502

How do you make a text to multiple people at once but not make it the kind where they all see each others responses?

So when someone responds it only comes to me & not the entire group?

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

If you send a text to multiple recipients only you will only see their individual responses, the whole list will not see them. It's basically just an individual text to multiple people. Each person only sees that you have texted him individually, not that you have sent it to a group.

Have people that you have texted seen other people's responses in the past?

3. firemedicmark thread starter macrumors 6502

huh,

I haven't tried yet but here's what I found:

I was sent a text with multiple people in the "To" line
    When I replied to the sender, EVERYONE got my reply. Is there a difference between sending a "group" text then putting multiple people in the "To" line? or is that the same thing as a group text?

4. mstrze macrumors 68000

Are you replying to the text you received from the individual, or are you going back into the multiple-recipient list and replying there?

When I send out to multiple people, I get a response from one or more as separate texts from each individual. I can reply to them individually, with it not going to everyone.

BUT if I do want it to go to everyone, I can go back into the original text I sent to the list and send another blast out again to all.

I just looked on my phone...I do not have "Group Messaging" turned on in Settings...Messages...perhaps you do and perhaps this makes the difference?

5. firemedicmark thread starter macrumors 6502

not understanding this? yes, i reply from the text that I received (group text) and it goes to everyone. could you clarify your above please?

hmmm, i do have group text turned on

6. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

false, with group messaging enabled you and everyone that recieved your text can see each other's replies, similar to a "replay all" email... also they can see every number that recieved the original text

7. firemedicmark thread starter macrumors 6502

so all i need to do is go settings > message > turn off group

will this solve my original question?

8. mattraehl macrumors 6502

Yes, turn the group messaging feature off. It is total crazysauce.

People without iPhones have no idea that they are getting sucked into a group message that goes to everyone. And if someone sends a text to a group including you, if you have group messaging turned on, the response goes to everyone and then with they respond it goes to everyone and they don't even know it's happening.

It is a great idea for a feature but there needs to be some standard for how all phones display what is a group message and what is an individual message is before it make sense to use it.

9. mstrze macrumors 68000

False.... when Group Texting is not enabled...as it is not on my phone. :p

firemedicmark...I guess we solved the problem then? :)

10. firemedicmark thread starter macrumors 6502

I will test it out and let you know.

thank you

11. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

it's ENABLED on my phone and I see all numbers from mass texts and I can reply all with group messaging ON

----------

this