Group Texting with iPHONE

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by abhishake, Dec 3, 2007.

1. abhishake macrumors regular

I realize that the iphone itself isn't capable of group texting.. But is there any way to do it? SUch as a third party app. lol. I've looked all around the web for anything dealing with it and all anyone says is that you can't do it. I was just wondering.

2. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I've heard of no such way, even with 3rd party stuff. People have been complaining about this (as well as sms forwarding) since day one.

Why apple hasn't addressed this is beyond me. Even the most basic handsets have this feature.

3. GTiPhone macrumors regular

I'm pretty up on everything iPhone and I've yet to see even a crappy way of accomplishing this.

So very very very sad that this has not been added to iPhone. Its been on every other mobile phone since the beginning of SMS. I know people who use it so frequently that they could not get an iPhone for this reason alone.

Hard to even imagine that this is not a standard iPhone feature, but it is what it is.

4. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

5. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Interesting!! I'll have to follow that one! That mod would make it worth it for me to hack the phone!

6. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48a Safari/419.3)

I group text. What are you missing. That + symbol in the sms window is to add numbers, groups etc. Works fine for me.

7. mrJnC macrumors regular

On my 1.1.2 phone, the "+" option disappears after the first entry has been specified.

8. jparris1 macrumors regular

The only way I have found is to use the email equivalents, such as xxxxxxxxxx@vztext.com. I then can use Mail to send to as many people as I like and they will get it as a text.

9. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Me too. I can only send to one person at a time too.

tjcampbell, can you double check please? Is your phone modded?

10. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

He's probably mixing up multiple recipient emailing with SMS.

11. abhishake thread starter macrumors regular

i think i found it..

http://code.google.com/p/iphone-sms/

I think this may make it easier to group text.. there's also a link for native programs but i don't know if those will work with the updates..

i haven't tried it yet but i will soon.

12. snook911 macrumors 6502a

what I don't get is if its as easy as just adding a little code to get these features what possible reason can apple have for holding them back?

13. heathergekko macrumors newbie

sms group sending

All you do is write a message
    Then go to the small + button and add your first mobile number then when that appears press the To: space again and the blue + button will appear again then you add the second and so forth....

It worked for me on a 3GS.:):D

14. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

Worked perfect, thanks.

It would help if they made it more obvious lol

15. transam7816 macrumors regular

16. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

lmao... i think so.. pretty old thread... but maybe he used search!! party time. :D

17. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

This is the Internet. It's deadly serious.

18. AppleiZac macrumors member

im pretty sure this deserves the epic *face palm* that many other posts receive, but i'll leave that for the judges to decide...wow..

19. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Nope, for the reasons given below. We'll have EFP's in no time more deserving.

Celebrate good times, come on, let's start a celebration!

Yeah, I thought it was pretty old too, when I saw it got opened, but let it pass. I had my fingers on the "you know this thread is a year and a half old" but didn't have the heart to tell him (especially with some of the new threads today where no searching was even attempted!!).

So, good for him.

20. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    a newbie.... using search?!! I don't believe it!!!

here, you get a

Attached Files:

21. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

I guess I'm gonna have to get a face palm to because:

1: I did not RTFM:eek:
    2: I did not bother to search:eek:
    3: I did not read all of the sticky's when they were up:eek:

So in essence, this almost two year old post was actually useful for me. In my own pitiful defense, all I can say is I may average two SMS messages a day.:eek::eek:

I guess I will go download the manual...:rolleyes:

Face Palm away:p

22. tazhoag macrumors newbie

if you keep adding multiple recipients to a text by just typing their name or using the + button it will do a group text, then that group stays in the messages screen and you can keep using it to send to that group in the future. not perfect cause it' technically not a stored contact and it cant be named but it's something

23. fioretta macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm a newbie and I got here using search! :D
    You only need to google "group sms on iPhone" and you end up here, that's because apparently it's impossible to group testing on the iPhone. I mean without choosing contacts one by one.