Grove Bamboo or InCase Slider

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by meistervu, Aug 28, 2010.

1. meistervu macrumors 65816

I have been using the iP4 for about a month without a case. I don't have any issue with the antenna and really like the way the phone look.

However I do find the square edges a bit distracting if not somewhat uncomfortable. My free Incase Snap Case arrived a couple of days ago. Well, with the case on, the bottom feel nice, but the top, where the edges meet the face of the iP4, is rather "edgy" and doesn't feel nice.

So I went to BestBuy yesterday and tried out a black Incase Slider. It felt really nice: still quite minimal, softer edges, nice transition between the top edges and the screen. I had a Incase Slider on my old 3G so I felt right at home with it. It looks pretty understated, and that may be a good thing.

On the other hand, I have been contemplating a Grove bamboo case: similar design, but a bit thicker (may be an issue). My thought: if I was to cover the nice design of a iP4 with something, I may as well do it with something beautiful.

Does any one have both and can offer an opinion? two concerns come to my mind: (1) thickness of the Grove, (2) accessibility to the volume buttons - the Incase Slider is OK, but is the Grove any worse?

By the way, I don't use a screen protector.

2. Ever34 macrumors regular

Not 100% but i believe there is a thread concerning grove case and reception issues.

3. meistervu thread starter macrumors 65816

I saw that thread, and I am skeptical. Wood should not interfere with radio reception. If anything, the spacing afforded by the case thickness should improve reception.

4. KameronBriggs macrumors 6502

KameronBriggs

In my past experiences, the Incase Slider has done nothing but leave scratches. Idk how it is with the new one rubber rail, because I'm not buying it again...

5. meistervu thread starter macrumors 65816

I had one on my 3G for 2 years and no scratch (and I never cleaned the back of the phone or the inside of the case except for the first time before I put it on). Common sense tells me that a softer material cannot scratch harder ones. The glass on the iP4 is a lot harder than the plastic of the case. On the other hand, if you get sand in between the case and the phone then you can imagine what would happen (sand paper).

6. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

I have the Grove case, & I absolutely love it. It fits comofortably in the hand. I have had NO reception issues. Grove even posted on their Facebook awhile back about how it has only been a problem with a few people due to where they live. If you get it & have reception issues, they seem to be really good about full refunds. It's worth a shot, IMHO.

7. meistervu thread starter macrumors 65816

How accessible are the volume buttons? Does it feel thick and wide with the case on? Thanks.

8. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Damn typos. :p

Some people say it feels large, but it feels no different than the standard cases I've used in the past. Everything is easily accessible. Only problem: you need the actual Apple charger to charge it. The hole wont accommodate anything else.

9. Sunday Shadows macrumors regular

I had a grove sadly it killed my reception. It was very pretty. Bulky compared to the incipio feather haha. The buttons are easy to get to but a little awkward. If I could use it I would.

10. eron macrumors 6502

I have the Grove. No problems with the buttons.
    It's quite abit bigger than the incase. You can have a look at Seidio cases. I had the Seidio Innocase for 3GS and it was smaller than the Incase Slider.

Regarding Grove's reception issues, the metal bezel does not touch the sides at all, but only the screen, so it shouldn't cause any reception problems. Unless wood conduct electricity.

11. meistervu thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you for your opinion.

I made a mock up of the Grove out of card stock using the dimensions on their website and tried it out. It felt a bit bigger than I think I would want a phone to be, so I went ahead and bought a black Incase Slider from Bestbuy this evening.

Yes, the Slider will fit inside the paper pocket that is my model of the Grove, with a bit or room to spare. I really like it. The phone feels quite a more comfortable in my hand. The added bulk is just about perfect I think - enough to give reasonable amount of protection especially on the back and side (there is a soft rubber strip in the middle which I think will be a good shock absorber). It is not as cool a case as Grove, but the black one is quite understated and doesn't feel like tupperware :). Having seen that Youtube video where a dude test dropped his from different height and how the iP4 managed inside an Apple Bumper, this is more protection that I will reasonably need.

Thanks all for your feedbacks on the Grove bamboo case. It looks like great product from a nice company, but perhaps not for me. Maybe I will change my mind if I see it in person.

12. Resist macrumors 68030

And you're talking about the Incase Slider for the iPhone 3G/3GS then with the plastic back, yes? This is hardly a concern with the iPhone 4 version. I would bet the Incase Slider would be fine on the iPhone 4, even without a rubber rail, due to the phone's glass back and stainless steel boarder. But having the rubber rail makes it even better.

I'm really liking the Incase Slider on my iPhone 4, due to its minimal design with a lip edge and great feel. Just wish it didn't cost so much.