Grow your own

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by djellison, Apr 25, 2008.

1. djellison macrumors 68020

Just wondering - does anyone here grow their own fruit or veg? My Dad used to do loads when I was a kid. Now, aged 29 and finally thinking about growing up a little - I thought I'd grow some favorites.

I've got just a small free standing baby greenhouse like thing that has four shelves - not a proper vegetable patch - but I'm having a go using pots an troughs all the same - and in total I'm trying to grow..

-Four varieties of Tomatoes ( Beef, Cherry, Ailsa Craig and Moneymaker ) - the first two are now in small pots - perhaps 4-5 inches tall. Going to thin out to pick the best two of each and plant on to gro-bags soon.

-Peas. Just moved my seedinglings into a trough over whch I've built a bamboo and wire structure for them to grow up and around.

- Spring Onions. Love em. Got two seed-trays of them growing. (sown three weeks apart) Hopefully that'll be enough soil, but I'm not sure.

- Chives (just on the window sill in the kitchen. Lovely with soft cheese - growing great!)

- Sweetcorn, three seedlings given to us by our lovely neigbours. Need planting on soon - might actually put them in soil, next to my shed ( which is actually my office )

- Pumpkins. For fun - I've got 6 seedlings growing really quick - I may grow the best two on to see if I can get something big and orange for October :)

And of course, a load of salad leaves - they're just great tasting.

I work in IT, and am a gadget geek, a space nut - but growing these things is a GREAT chill-out hobby, and the end result will be some awesome food that'll taste great!

Anyone else growing stuff?

Doug

2. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

have been since I was a child -- my mother and older sisters were vegetarians, avid gardeners, etc. I paid a little attention.

No real space to grow nowadays, as I live in a condo downtown with no dirt in sight for about 1.3 miles, but I recently picked up an "AeroGarden" for herbs, larger vegetables and fruits, and may be picking up a couple more. It's nice, especially factoring in Chicago's often early-season sporadic weather, but not quite the same thing.

3. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Yep I grow my own veggies despite living in a 3rd floor apt.

I have sunflower coming in very strongly
    with the chives, garlics and green onions ready to eat.
    my extra curly parsley is about to take over a couple of the pots.
    the rosemary and lavender are not doing that hot.
    I finally weeded out the chocolate mint.
    Peas are goign good and so are the Blushing Bell Potatoes.

I have grown my own stuff since I was a child, and we had a huge agri-garden plot.

4. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I'm in the process of putting together a garden. I have corn and potatoes I just planted not 15 minutes ago, and I have cukes, tomatoes, and green beans in pots, for about another week, waiting to be planted. This is my first serious try at growing some veggies, and I have help this time (my 9 y.o. son), so we will see what happens.
    :D

edit: A good website for gardening is motherearthnews.com, and http://organicgardening.com/

I get both their magazines, and I really enjoy reading them. BTW, I'm in IT as well.
    :0)