growing black spot on screen...is it dying??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hyperbolical, Sep 3, 2008.

1. hyperbolical macrumors newbie

hi, i travelled by plane to a new city a few days ago and took my good old reliable powerbook g4 vintage 2003 in my carryon. which at one point tipped over.
    when i started using it that night there was a tiny black area in the middle of my screen, at first i thought it was dirt, but it didn't go away. over the course of yesterday and today it is GROWING< and it appears to be in lines, as if it were in pixels rather than a big blob. it is now about 3/8" across, not quite 1/4" high at max points. looks sketchy.

now i tried a pixel tester and it looks like these are dead pixels. i then tried a flashing pixel un-sticker but that didn't work. tonight as i use this laptop the lines are growing.

i realize my screen is probably dying, but can anyone tell me what exactly is happening and is there anything I can do to stop it from spreading more or to repair it? it is a pity because i really liked this 17" PB and even though i plan to get a new macbook pro, wanted to keep this for a second machine (reading email and such).

thank you for taking the time to read this.

cyn

2. Metuas macrumors regular

Metuas

From what I've seen before, that sounds like liquid crystal failure. I doubt there's any way to fix that.

Sorry to hear about your powerbook. Macs in pain make me sad.