Growing office of Mac's, network & backup recomendations?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by Boomish69, May 31, 2015.

1. Boomish69 macrumors 6502

Boomish69

I help look after a friends small company Macbook Air's & Pro's, but that company has now grown to 15 odd employee's.
    They are moving to new offices and I thoughts it's a good time to evaluate a proper backup scheme , currently they all use Google Apps for buisness, storing important doc's on G Drive etc, they do a have 2 mac's using Time Machine to a local shared drive but the rest have nothing. Crazy really but they don't store much locally and they do realise it's all or nothing on their Macbook air's.
    But as they have a new office and some VOIP setup going in and a new comm's rack I thought time to recommend a good NAS. We have been looking at Backblaze as a cloud option too. I use that at home and found it really useful for peace of mind knowing all the family photo & video's are safe somewhere.
    Any recommendations on a easy to use backup as well as another advise? Currently I log in with Teamviewer when they need anything but thinking of starting to use ARD.
    Appreciate any feedback..

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Apple Remote Desktop is the way to go for any sizable Mac network. In terms of NAS, I have always had good luck with and recommended Synology hardware.

3. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

depends on how you want to manage your backups - if you even want to at all.
    Backblaze is...what it is. I prefer Crashplan - they have very easy to use interface and a really nice collaboration piece similar to GoogleDrive if need be as well.

otherwise if you want onsite backs you can manage - a mac mini with OS X server and a pegasus raid system would be ideal.

4. Boomish69 thread starter macrumors 6502

Boomish69

Thanks for the replies guys, yes I wondered about a server, I did try crashplan and found it very good but a friend of mine who runs a small business moved from Crashplan to Backblaze as he said he had a lot of issues with Crashplan as it was written in Java, I simply went on his recommendation and so far it's great.
    I'll get back into ARD ..haven't used it in years.