Growing Tired of MacBook Defects

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pellets007, Jun 21, 2009.

1. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

I first bought a MacBook in ~March of this year (aluminium 2.4Ghz). I got the first machine replaced for debris under the screen. I took that machine home to notice a more prominent particle under the screen so I got that MacBook sent back. I was given a third MacBook and told that it was the last one. At that point I was questioning their service if they wouldn't allow for a third replacement should this turn out poorly. But, as it seemed, the third MacBook seemed fine as far as the screen went (I even got a 9CA5). A month later, I put in new RAM and closed the battery latch only to notice that the cover no longer fit as it should. After a few attempts I called AppleCare and they sent me a new cover. To my dismay, this one did not fit. I then sent the machine in to Apple for inspection; the only thing they did was replace the cover like I did, wasting four days of my time. But it seemed that it worked so I had no discrepancies.

A week ago, I tried to upgrade the HDD and noticed that the cover, after opening is again, was ill-fitting, more so than the first (and the agent noted that the HDD repair voided my warranty even after I told him it did not :rolleyes:). So again, I requested another cover. Still the issue persisted. I am supposed to ship the same cover in again, as I told Apple it did not fit. If I chose not to ship it back, they would charge me $42.50 for the part but that the charges wouldn't be applicable until ten days from the shipment. I just inspected the box to see no pre-paid label (so I can't return it without paying for shipping) and my credit card has been charged the full amount. After speaking with another representative today, I learned that the charges shouldn't have been applied and a refund would be granted and I'm on hold now with the case. I'm supposed to send in my MacBook tomorrow as a mail-in-repair.

For such a minor issue it's causing a lot of problems. Based upon the service and nature of the laptop I am going to request a refund from Apple pending the next repair. I don't suppose anyone has had any luck with that after a series of poor repairs?

tl;dr

Two MacBook replacements because of debris under the screen.
    Third MacBook's battery cover doesn't fit.
    Two DIY battery covers sent to me, both ill-fitting
    One mail-in-repair pending two as of ~Wednesday.
    Wrongfully credited $42.50 for the battery door.
    Tired of poor repairs.
    Want a refund/credit despite being out of the 14-day window. Thoughts?

2. RDM3 macrumors regular

Wow sorry to hear about our issues, I have never had an issue with my Mac or iBook so I never have sent them in to Apple.

Where did you buy your Macbook?

3. pellets007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pellets007

4. RDM3 macrumors regular

I am guessing from an Apple Store, sorry don't want to assume anything

5. pellets007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Yes, an Apple store. I don't buy from middlemen for this exact reason. ;)

6. RDM3 macrumors regular

Well would it matter if you had bought it from Best Buy, it is still an Apple and still would go through Apple, provided it was in warranty or you had Applecare.

7. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Do you know what the odds are for the same person to have problems with 3 consecutive macbooks?

Are you sure we're getting the full story for all these mishaps?

8. RDM3 macrumors regular

I agree, to have 2 Macbooks with dirt or something under the lcd is odd, I guess I have been lucky.

I have never bought a Mac at an Apple store, i got mine at Best Buy, mine was an dis[ay model they were getting rid of cheap, so I couldn't say no, but I had them turn it on and all before I bought it, don't they do that at the Apple store?

9. pellets007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pellets007

I'm unsure what you mean. Two MacBooks had debris under the screen as confirmed by the Genuis which saw both MacBooks. The MacBook with the ill-fitting battery door has been constant through each of the three repairs; the same MacBook. Which leads me to believe that it's the top case that's the issue and thus the connecting bottom pieces do not fit properly. But I don't want a replacement MacBook as those, as I have seen, come with further defects and the screen on mine is to my content. I would simply like to receive an equivalent amount refunded into Apple store credit should the next repair prove fruitless.

10. RDM3 macrumors regular

Did they start your Macbook up when you bought it in the store?

11. pellets007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pellets007

The first one no. The second one no. The third one yes.

12. RDM3 macrumors regular

I guess i would have had them show me the first one, I would want to see it start-up, and if I had to take the first one back I would absolutely want the 2nd one started up for me to see.

I would just swap the problem one for a new one if it were me.

13. pellets007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pellets007

I'm outside of my return period so I don't think I can just request a new one. Should I get an OK from Apple towards a replacement it would be a refurbished product anyways. Not something I would like.

14. RDM3 macrumors regular

What's wrong with a refurb? Did you take the first one back within the 14 days?

15. pellets007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Older MacBooks had horrible screens, so I'm taking a gamble with that. Other defects include slanted function keys and ill-fitting battery latches. And I bought a new machine. If I had wanted a refurbished one I would have paid $200 less and bought it on the refurbished store.

16. RDM3 macrumors regular

Ok, did you take the first one back within the 14 days?

17. pellets007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Oops, sorry. Yes I did.

18. RDM3 macrumors regular

OK, so you took the first one back within 14 days and they replaced it with another new one, then you noticed the same debris issue, how soon did you take the 2nd one back?

19. pellets007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pellets007

I believe I was still within the return period.

20. RDM3 macrumors regular

Ok, so then you upped the RAM yourself and the cover was not fitting, pardon my ignorance, but the cover you are talking about is it the actual battery or which cover? I swapped my RAM out on my White Macbook and didn't seem to have any cover fitment issue, but I just had to take the battery out and that was it., well and the metal part inside had to be unscrewed also.

As far as Apple saying this was the last one they were replacing, that is a bunch of crap, if it had debris and you sent the first one in during the 14 days, and you got another with the same issue and still came back asap, then Apple shoudl replace it again if it had debris for the 3rd time.

21. pellets007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pellets007

See that lower end of the bottom, the smaller side in the left corner? The sides stick up and click when you put pressure on them. The middle portion also sticks out a bit so when I set the laptop down it makes a metallic click. Debris has gotten inside of the laptop to give proportion to how ill-fitting it is.

Attached Files:

22. RDM3 macrumors regular

Is that a Macbook Pro? My Whitebook looks different on the bottom, the battery is just in the corner and you have to use a coin to unlock it and it pops out.

What debris got under the cover?

23. pellets007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pellets007

It's the aluminium MacBook. Debris like dust in general that wasn't there when I tried adding the HDD. I wiped the battery down with a cloth and attached the cover again, later checking if debris were present just to confirm.

24. RDM3 macrumors regular

Ok, wow it stinks that you waited to do the RAM, had you done it right away I guess you could have taken it back under the 14 day period, you don't have much of a choice, sounds like you are at Apple's mercy.

25. mikefly macrumors regular

i don't think it should be an issue to get your money back --- you've done your best to make it work.

also -- if anyone hassles you, just speak with a manager- be polite and honest.

I don't think store credit is reasonable - a good response would be to offer you an upgrade or something for free (on a replacement machine)

otherwise - cash.