Growing your own vegetables?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Spectrum Abuser, Jul 24, 2012.

?

Do you?

1. Yes!

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Yes! (Hardly ever go to a supermarket. If ever)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, but I have in the past.

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  4. No.

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  1. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I'm curious as to how many people grow their own vegetable(s) whether it be just a single tomato plant or supplying your whole household with assorted vegetables. Also could you give a brief description of how you grow your food? EX: Potted plants in a window/backyard garden.

2. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

I don't, but I've always thought it would be a good idea. Maybe I'll do a bit of research today and see if it's too late to plant something little on my balcony.

3. 184550 Guest

I use to have a little garden every summer when I was in elementary school. The bunnies always won though. :p

4. Happybunny macrumors 68000

The bunnies always win [​IMG]

Since I retired I have made more of my rear garden into a vegetable patch. This year it has been very much a wash out as the weather turned very wet in both May and June.
    But in other years I have grown up to 80% of all my vegetables plus it gives me some exercise, and something to do.

5. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I actually have a Hydroponics System and Condenser System (Mushrooms).

Why!? Because Hamilton Frost kills everything, and hideously geeky.

It may or may not have had drugs in or around it at any one point in time. :eek:

6. Jb07 macrumors 6502

I had a garden about 3 years ago. I started in Spring and by mid summer everything was dead (except the okra, which grew like crazy.) The Texas heat isn't the best for growing veggies.

7. Razzerman II macrumors member

The wife tends to be in charge of our vegetable and garden arrangements, although I started some hop plants growing earlier in the year, and they're doing very well (next year might get a hop crop or two to use in the homebrew).

Kids help out too - they're mostly bothered about the strawberries, but we have got tomatoes, potatoes, cucumbers, courgettes, radishes, blackcurrants, apples and pears. Toms in the greenhouse, and it all gets watered of an evening. Just need some more sunshine, and it's been a bit wintery here.

Ray

8. eric/ Guest

eric/

this

9. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

We have rhubarb (don't know if it really counts :p). Totally delicious, and requires essentially no work at all! If I had the time/climate, it'd be great to grow more stuff too, though... We had potatoes in the back yard a couple years when I was a kid, and I remember it being a blast :D

10. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Started a couple of plants in buckets this year. Most notably, basil and tomatoes. Already "harvested" the basil, and my tomatoes are now waist high.

First time doing this for me, but I'll continue to do this every year until I have a single family home where I can have a legitimate garden.

I long for the day I can grow cantaloupe, tomatoes, basil, chile's, and watermelon in a "true" garden.

11. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

I grow peppers and tomatoes every year. Also had a couple pineapples this year that were beyond delicious.

12. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

My mom has a little garden in our backyard. She grows tomatoes, zucchini, onions, cucumbers, lettuce and I think carrots and beats. I love going outside in the morning and grabbing some fresh spring onions and tomatoes for my omelets :D

13. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I had a Topsy Turvy on my balcony a few years ago, but my apartment manager made me take it down before anything could grow. I gave it to my parents, but they killed it.

Maybe I'll try it again when I live in an actual house.

14. dec. Suspended

dec.

Vegetables - no, am afraid the dogs would eat them off the plants :D
    Herbs - yes, tons, I have several planters with either stuff I use all the time (parsley, basil, mint, oregano, garlic chives) or the herbs that aren't always available at our grocery stores - thai basil, pineapple mint, sage... the mint has been growing like crazy and the freezer is full of mint/almond pesto...

15. snberk103 macrumors 603

One raised bed, more to come. Raised bed has Basil, Spuds, onions, broccoli, etc. One garlic bed with about 60 heads of garlic. One large herb garden, with Oregano, Lavender, Rosemary, Fennel, Sage. Hmmm... that's if for now.

The garden is new for us, since we only recently put in the deer fence and are just about to finish bunny proofing it. We hope to get the vast majority of our veggies from the garden in a few years. Luckily we live in a very temperate climate.

16. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

In barrels/containers: mint, green onions, chives, thyme, oregano, strawberries, celery, carrots and tomatoes.

In the ground: mandarin orange tree, thompson grape, muscat grape and blueberry.

In a garden: corn, basil, pole beans, zucchini, jalapenos, orange and red bell pepper.

Some produce for a reasonable amount of time, others just give you a taste now and then.