Growl Software Update Notice Appearing On My Imac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by beeinformed, Mar 3, 2012.

1. beeinformed macrumors 6502

Hi!

For the past two days, a popup notification has been appearing on my imac computer after I start using the safari browser, which specifically states that "a newer version of Growl is available online. Click here to download it now".

I would appreciate it if someone could tell me what the "Growl" software is, as I have never heard of it and I'm not sure if it is safe to download it. Thanks! :)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Growl was probably included with another app you installed. Rather than install any update from a pop-up in your browser, go to the app's site and download the update directly.

3. beeinformed thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

The only software updates I install are from the "software updates" notices I receive from my imac computer.

4. stomer macrumors 6502a

System Preferences > Growl > About

Un-check “Check for updates automatically”.

That’ll stop Growl nagging about updates.

5. beeinformed thread starter macrumors 6502

I clicked on the "How did Growl get on your system?" link you provided me above with and according to the website it states "At least two HP OfficeJet models come with a driver CD that includes a hidden installation of Growl. Specifically, the “HP Message Center”, which is responsible for claiming that your printer is out of ink, uses Growl."

I recently purchased an HP Officejet 100 mobile printer and had to use their cd disk in order to install the bluetooth component of the printer. So I guess this was the reason why the "Growl" software was installed.

I was wondering if there is a way of uninstalling the "Growl" software (without it affecting the functionality of the printer) and would appreciate any suggestions you have to do this. Thanks! :)

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

7. Elbert C macrumors 6502

Uninstalling Growl shouldn't affect the functionality of the printer in any way. Instructions on uninstalling were in the link I posted. GGJstudios' instructions are easy to follow without having to go through different pages like in Growl's instructions.