Growl

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by etsi, Dec 21, 2011.

1. etsi macrumors regular

Hello,

I am wondering if it's a good idea to buy Growl. Does the latest version work with any applications for notifications ?

I read only negative comments about Growl.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's a fantastic tool the negativity is purely because people don't like that it's not free no more! For the small fee they want I don't see what all the fuss is about!!

3. etsi thread starter macrumors regular

As I understand notifications don't work with the most applications anymore ?

4. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

yea that's why I stick with the old free version even tho I bought the one in the mac store.

5. SandboxGeneral, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011

SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

The bigger negative over the price tag is that they were forced to drop support for email notifications to gain entry into the MAS. I have the new version and out of all my apps, it only works with Twitter and Adium. Both of which I could care less about getting Growl notifications.

Oh and it works with Dropbox too.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think its a handy little app that they really don't charge all that much for. Even if you don't want to pay that, you can compile the source code yourself if you feel so inclined

7. marc11 macrumors 68000

Love Growl works with everything the old version did for me. There is a third party plug in that lets it work with mail too.

8. firestarter, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2011

firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Personally, I've always liked growl - particularly its ability to forward notifications to my iDevices. I've not yet bought the app-store version, but I will. I suspect the support for it will increase as other apps get recompiled against new APIs. The price is small, and I like the convenience of the app store delivery method.

9. atomsmith macrumors newbie

worth it

more than worth the $1.99 in the App Store.

10. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I don't have that many apps that use it. Currently only dropbox and twitter but I love the way it works. It would be nice if it worked with the mail.app

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

12. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

This. I really love it (MAS version)

13. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Agreed, thanks to Apple they're slowing making sure everything is a paid app.

I don't mind paying a developer, but Apple's 30% reeks of greed. Take 15% and I'd say that's still a good profit and fair to the consumer.

It works on every app I use that requires, or benefits from notifications.

14. Aidoneus macrumors 6502

Then you have no idea how much credit card companies and online storefronts cost to the developer.

15. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I strongly support paying for apps that have value to me. When I use donation ware or other such software that has the option to contribute, I almost always do. I typically will pay $10-$20 when there is something that I like. I am thrilled when something like Growl switches to a MAS purchase... because I would bet that VERY few people (percentage wise) actually pay for these types of programs. I would suspect that as more and more developers charge like this... their revenue will increase and we will have access to better software.

/Jim