Growl?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ann-yes, Jun 19, 2008.

1. ann-yes macrumors newbie

Every evening, for the past 3 nights, there is a little popup that comes on my desktop. It says it's a program called Growl and it wants to download an update. Is that part of some Mac application? I have never heard of it before. I don't have much on my Mac besides the programs that came with it. Only Adium, Second Life, and Gimp.

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Mine too.

Growl is a great notification system, I feel that Apple should integrate it into OS X.

Adium installs it, but it asks permission before doing so. Alot of other apps do the same as well.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I'm seeing it too -- It looks like it may have been installed either with DropBox or Firefox 3. There is a Growl system prefs pane now as well.

Does anyone know if it's required for Firefox or DropBox? I'd really rather not have another app cluttering up my system if it's not necessary.

4. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

See my post above, its from Adium.

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Well, that would make sense if I had adium on my computer. Sounds like a lot of apps will install it. I guess it's not harmful but it's a little weird to see a pop-up all of a sudden from an app you've never heard of.

6. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Agreed, and I think its the case that Growl is harmless -- just a souped-up Notification system that integrates with OS X.

7. Snowbound macrumors regular

I had growl get installed with adium. It's entirely harmless and requires little to no processor power, so it's not a big deal. And with the right programs the notifications are helpful.

8. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Dropbox uses it. However its not required. You could uninstall it without a problem.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Growl is awesome, using the music video setting with Adium makes sense, instead of looking in the boxes it just pops up much bigger. Truly one of the best freeaps (alongside Adium) for the Mac. Shocked that more of our expereinced members haven't commented on it.

10. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

It is a great application at first i was not so sure about it. Now i love it.

11. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

Growl was one of the first things I installed on my Mac Mini, its a really neat little app, so many applications plug into it its really a must have if you want to be notified of what's going on.

12. reubs macrumors 68000

If I didn't have Growl I'd be lost sometimes. It's great for Adium, it ties in well with Quicksilver, and it's good with a bunch of other little things. It's not integral, but it's one of those things that makes OS X a bit more enjoyable to use.

13. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Growl = clutch

It's fairly customizable and works with a decent amount of applications. There is a plugin for it to work with Safari.

14. jive turkey macrumors 6502

15. ann-yes thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone! I'm so relieved that it's not some sort of Spyware!

16. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I just got a notification of a Growl update. I downloaded and tried to install, and got an error. So despite the fact that everyone seems to love it, it definitely has its flaws.

17. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

:p I can't help but notice that you only name one flaw, which nobody else seems to have. That's hardly a flaw but more like a one-time problem since it has nothing to do with its functionality?

18. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Well given that the whole point of the thing seems to be notification of updates, I do find it rather ironic that it can't update itself. The only thing it's done for me so far is notify me of an update that doesn't work.

19. ann-yes thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so how do I get rid of it? I don't need to be notified, I am tired of getting a notification of a Growl update every day. I keep closing the little popup, but it comes back the next day.

20. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Get rid of Growl or get rid of the pop up?

You can disable popups under the Growl Preference Pane in System Preferences

This is how you completely remove it from the system.

21. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

Been using Growl for over a year now, its good, useful, well worth keeping. There does seem to be something wrong with the latest update, I keep getting a notification that an update is available to download when I have already downloaded and installed it. Hopefully this will be sorted out soon.

22. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I thought it was a problem too, but then I realized that there really was a new version. Current version now is 1.1.4

23. reubs macrumors 68000

The new updated version (1.1.4) serves to fix the problem that said in earlier versions "Installation Failed" upon the first attempt. So, DL 1.1.4 and all should be fine.

All of the third party applications that use it are really intuitive, but I find the functionality with Apple apps to be a little difficulty to initially set-up. After that set-up, though, it's great. Growlmail is especially useful, IMO.

24. klb028 macrumors 6502

I'm still getting an error when I try to install the latest update of Growl.