Grr.. Advertising at the Apple Store? ..SERIOUSLY??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Derrick Velasco, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Derrick Velasco macrumors regular

Not cool. SPECULATION: They got the numbers on those iPhones IN THE STORE and spammed them with all this "advertisement" nonsense. What do you think? This may not be a big deal. But it annoys me.

[​IMG]

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'm so lost, they clearly just spammed a bunch of numbers? At least it didn't go to your phone.

3. Derrick Velasco thread starter macrumors regular

Yep. True. It just gets me mad when companies do this. Just bugging people to join there program or company.

4. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Why get mad over such a tiny thing?

5. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

yea really?

6. Derrick Velasco thread starter macrumors regular

7. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

I don't know, I thought it was kind of funny. :p

8. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

This gives me an idea. I should MMS Droid commercials to the phones. :p

9. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I suppose someone could theoretically find out the number of the phone(s) in a particular Apple Store and then send spam to them.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

Not everyone gets unlimited txt messages included in their plan. I don't have an iPhone, but my phone does have a limit on how many free txt messages per month. The unsolicited crap costs money for some of us. I finally had to get Verizon to block all txt messages to my phone to avoid overage charges; the messages were total spam. Supposedly they have options on the web site that can block some of it, but none of it worked. Sending unsolicited fax is illegal and it should be the same for cell phones. Sometimes I think Verizon gets a cut on the txt messages if they get responded to.

11. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

old-wiz - reading comprehension wasn't your strong suit was it?

He was pissed that there were advertisement texts on the iphones that were displays in the apple store

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

I know that perfectly well. My point was simply that advertising txt on phones do cost money for some people.

Insulting other posters is tacky.

13. jayenh macrumors 6502a

am i missing something here? how does receiving a text cost anyone, other than the sender, any money? just delete it and forget about it...

14. dalejrsfan macrumors newbie

Oh boy! Your Mommy or Daddy must pay for your service? Texts cost money, either sent or received. The only way they wouldn't cost you anyMORE is if you have an unlimited text plan!!!

15. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Received texts don't cost money in the UK. It's a little country across the ocean from America, about 3500 miles away. They don't get charged in an awful lot of other countries, either.

16. jayenh macrumors 6502a

nice. loving the maturity in this post. i did consider completely ignoring it but i'll give this one more try. i pay for my own plan thank you very much, and the only time a text costs me any money is when i send one. i could send 0 texts and receive 1 million. i'd get billed for 0 text. it doesn't work this way in the US? simple question, now try responding in civilised manner.

17. iPhoneStore.com macrumors newbie

When you think about it, it is actually a really good idea... how else could 1 text message be as effective? How many eyes see these phones, and furthermore, how many of them will actually close/erase the message? The chances are that people won't touch them, but lots of people will see the message. Nicely done, minus the spam factor.

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah here in the US we get ripped for small things like that; people think it's actually normal.

19. jayenh macrumors 6502a

yeah, that's pretty harsh. the cheaper prices you get on some things over there don't seem all that cheap anymore when you're getting ripped off on stuff like incoming text messages.

20. bakarisagna3 macrumors newbie

If its not your phone why does it affect you?

21. MetalAZ macrumors newbie

That would be funny to see that happen at an Apple store. I'd ask them where the SPAM filter is :) I've actually had that happen several times to my iPhone though, but I'm on an unlimited plan so it didn't cost me extra.

22. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 my Bosnian, Macedonian, Croation, British, Kosovo, and Brazilian friends (I work with a lot of diversities can you tell?) were amazed when they found out I paid for receiving text messages.

23. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

No, it doesn't, unfortunately. Perhaps you should've asked this question to begin with rather than just assuming and being insulted with receiving texts costing money.

24. mrochester macrumors 65816

What I don't understand about the US system is how do you stop being charged for text messages you haven't asked to receive? It would be highly illegal in the UK to be charged for something you haven't requested like this, so at what point do these companies ask your permission, or how do you go about stop being charged for these texts? You have no control over who sends you texts and when, so what legal standing do they have for charging you for them?

25. theNEOone macrumors 6502

Ummm. AFAIK, incoming texts are free. I'm in the US, on AT&T. Don't know what all the ruckus is about....

Edit: F-me. Looking now, but it appears that incoming texts count against my plan. What the....I hate AT&T even more now. HTC Bravo/Passion, here I come!!!

=|