Grr! I am getting frustrated with Garageband & my MIDI controller!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MecPro, Mar 15, 2009.

1. MecPro macrumors 6502

Hi guys.

I have only just got a MIDI keyboard conencted via USB to control the software instruments on Garageband. The only problem I am finding is if I say, sample some drums, I can only play them back by manually placing them in the chord orchestrator.

What I basically need/want is to control the track (the part on the left) by a single press on the keyboard; so if I wanted 2 kicks to sound, I'd press the key twice. But at the moment it's just not registering at all, and only allows me to play the stock software instruments with the keyboard

Does anyone at all know whether I can control any imported samples via the keyboard? I'm sure there is a way because Fruity Loops does it, and Fruity Loops is poop!

Thanks

*edit. I am just reading up about Akai's MPC range and forgot another feature I wanted. Say for example you hit "hip-Hop" drums kit, different keys have been assigned different sounds. Is this possible to replicate with different tracks? i.e if I was to chop up a sample, and have different keys assigned to different parts of the sample?

2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Garageband is pretty basic in its design (you get what you pay for etc.) and I don't know of any easy way to do what you need.

Looking around though, I found this: http://www.thegaragedoor.com/tutorials/building.html which seems to deal with the topic. Haven't tried it myself, though.

But if you want more professional productions I'd recommend upgrading to Logic Express/Studio. A whole new world awaits you there.

3. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

Yes, it's possible. In Logic.

Sorry, I haven't used GarageBand in years. :confused:

4. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Turn your sample into an "instrument" and then it will work just as you desire / describe. It can't do that with just a raw sample that I know of... without AppleScript or something. And neither can Logic either BTW! :p

If you turn them into instruments then yes. But in GB I haven't split a KB on a single track like that. I think it's one track or one instrument at a time.

5. MecPro thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey guys, thanks for the help. I am going to get up now and see if that tutorial will work as smoothly as it seems. Long winded, but eh! I want to get Logic Express/Pro but I am unsure which one to get.

The price diference means I will be using Garageband for a little while longer, as Logic Pro is almost 3 times as much as Express. I will d a little more research as to which one is right for me

6. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles