Grr.. mail doesn't auto update anymore.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amazingdm, Aug 23, 2010.

1. amazingdm macrumors 6502

For the first month or so my mail would automatically update. As in I would be in other apps or just have my phone on the table and anytime I got new mail I would actually get updated right away.

Now the only time it updates is if I go into the mail app itself and it starts to refresh. Why?

I'll go in and it'll say like "last updated: Last night at 8:30pm" or something long ago.

2. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Do you actually receive new email when this happens?

The last updated time refers only to the last time you had the Mail application open and it updated your accounts.

3. henchosbandito macrumors member

May be something to do with your push notifications - check your settings. However, the newer version of mail is a bit buggy, i keep getting emails with a datestamp of 1st January 1970. Then i have to look at the emails on my mac mail for them to be updated correctly.

4. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok but shouldn't it automatically update my mail accounts all the time, like it used to? NOT just when I actually click the mail ap.

I only receive new email when I touch the app and go into it and it refreshes the mail.

Like if I sent myself an email right now, it wouldn't notify me or show up in my mail inboxes.. but if I click the mail app it goes to the mail app and at the bottom it says "checking for mail" and then the new email would show up after being downloaded.

5. shandyman Suspended

as well as checking the push settings, check the fetch settings, if its set to manual, it only updates when you go in it, if you want it to auto do it, set it to check every 15 mins, or 30 mins, whichever your preference. could be that your account doesn't support push so fetch will have to be done instead

6. samcraig macrumors P6

1. try resetting network settings

if that doesn't work. Delete the email accounts and re-add.

7. orangecrushv macrumors regular

I had the same issue but was able to fix the push notifications by completely closing the mail app when I'm done with it and not leaving it in the recent app toolbar...

8. A2-Mac-Guy macrumors newbie

I've never recieved push Yahoo mail until I reset my passwords

I've had an iphone since june '09 and push never worked for more than a few hours. I'd reset network settings and delete accounts, but after a few hours push wouldn't work anymore. Until Thursday night when I went in and reset my passwords. Since then it's been working as it should. Just a thought.

9. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502