Grrr apple!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macaroooon, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macaroooon macrumors 6502

I took my macbook pro to apple today because as I've said it's getting super hot and slow and crashes regularly and from advice on here I downloaded a program which seemed to suggest my fan wasn't working (00rpm) and I haven't heard the fan for weeks.

My friend spilled water on my laptop a few months ago (this is when this all happened).

I didn't tell apple.. but they ran tests and said EVERYTHING is fine, checked inside, said that was fine. They said the apps I downloaded to check fan won't have given correct results.

BUT my laptop is not working properly :( They said it'll be software not hardware.

2. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

this is why its happening, why should apple be responsible?

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Perhaps not telling the tech that there was a water spill (after which the problems started) was not the best idea. I would guess that in diagnosing problems, knowing the apparent cause, when it is known, would make troubleshooting more effective and efficient.

4. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

The "bad news" is that even if Apple had detected the water spillage, it wouldn't be covered under warranty. I suggest you take it back (or to some other store) and confess about the water spillage and see what they find.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So you're mad at apple for not finding anything wrong because you didn't tell them about the water damage (so as to avoid paying for the repairs yourself)

That makes a lot of sense. :rolleyes:

6. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, I know 100% it's my fault (or my friends), point was I don't understand how they say that everything is running fine when surely the water would have damaged it.

I mean I don't know if the water didn't damage the machine as the tests show or it did..

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You can't expect them to necessarily find anything wrong when you don't tell them the potential root cause, water damage. Negligence is difficult to troubleshoot.

8. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay fair enough. The reason I didn't say anything is because I honestly can't afford a repair and my friend is refusing to contribute. I'm just suprised that there appears to be no damage to any components and they couldn't find anythign(they checked all and did an internal inspection).

I'll take it in again and be honest.

9. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

You played dumb, and they played dumb. What is the story here?

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

How much water was spilled? A few drops or a full glass?

11. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

Not a whole glass but I'd say a decent splash.

I left it in rice for a good two days after.

12. Harinoorvirk28 macrumors member

Idk Why everyone is blaming you for Apple not finding the problem I mean come on! How do you not find out that the fan is not working it doesn't matter that the op didn't tell em.imagine if you bought a Mcp from craigslist and there's something wrong with and apple says there is noting wrong the point is Apple should conduct their tests better.

13. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I should have been honest with them, I know that. And although it wasn't me that spilt the drink it's still technically my fault.

But I am suprised that the tests have come back clear when this shows no rpm with the fan... (i was recommended this app on here)

[​IMG]

14. Harinoorvirk28 macrumors member

I honestly recommend you go to a reputated third party apple repair store and get a diagnosis from them

15. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I would be expecting the friend to buy the mac from you so you can get another one. Let the friend deal with the problem he caused.

16. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

I could do that

----------

I know, I don't think he will though: (

17. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

It appears, that you are mad that Apple didn't find and fix a problem that you knew the likely cause of. And on top of that, you were hoping to have it fixed while being deceitful. You were trying to scam Apple.

The problem isn't Apple, it is your warped perspective and crappy attitude.

18. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Lol. Get off your high horse. OP doesn't sound mad, just confused at their assessment.

I would stop in though and fess up/try to get a better assessment with the appropriate background info.

19. Meister Suspended

Meister

Before blaming the OP it should be first established if water is really what causes the problem.

Did the misfunction start after you spilled the water?

Have you tried reinstalling the OS?

Maybe :apple: is right and it is in fact a software error.

20. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

As I said, I am in the wrong.

Perhaps Apple are right and despite there having been water spilled on the laptop the computer wasn't affected and it is my software that is playing up.

I'm confused though as the program I downloaded on the advice from someone on here said my fan had 0rpm exhaust and I haven't heard my fan at all for a few months.

Apple said however these third party apps don't work and the test they did said my fan was working fine.

I'm slightly confused..

21. Merode macrumors 6502

Merode

Do you have any demanding game to test if fans kick in eventually?

22. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Step 0, remove the third party fan program from your Mac and see what happens.

Step 1, Is your data backed up? If not back it up immediately! Reinstall your OS and omit that third party fan program. Until you have done this, you are wasting your time.

One method I use for OS install is to simply boot to the recovery partition and run the install from there. This does what was once called an "archive and install" which leaves all your apps and settings in place. I think the wipe and install is overkill in your situation. I've only had to do it once when I was repairing damage caused by a kid who was trying to hack around parental controls.

Step 2, If you want to see if your fans work, simply visit CNN and watch one of their flash videos. That gets fans spinning within seconds.

23. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm on CNN watching one of their videos, I don't hear the fan.

I need to buy a new external hard drive to back up my laptop but very short of money right now so will have to wait.

24. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

With friends like that...

>

25. ~Achilles~ macrumors member

1. Small claims court
    2. Get money back from ex-friend
    3. Buy new MBP

Simples

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.