Grrr Can't decide :(

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MarkieMark92, Apr 7, 2015.

1. MarkieMark92 macrumors regular

I was thinking up until a couple of days ago of getting the Space Grey Aluminium Sports watch but now I am beginning to have second thoughts incase I want to change the case plus scratches on it so am now thinking of the Silver Aluminium Sports watch. Anyone else concerned it may scratch easier with the Space Grey and also having second thoughts?

2. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I think the black looks better, though I share you concerns that it will scratch at some point. Watches scratch, its just the nature of them, so in that case if you are worried about seeing them, I would recommend the silver finish.

Personally If I get one, It will be the SS model, I actually like the way the SS looks with scratches, and they can be buffed out, sorry this does not help you choice though.

Also we will not know till after launch how resistant to scratching the black models are, though it is still aluminium, so a hard knock will probably leave a scratch.

3. troy14 macrumors 6502a

I was dead set on the space grey one until I realized I was planning on buying different bands (notably the modern buckle) and realized they probably wouldn't look the greatest.... Now I'm "stuck" getting the SS one!

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

The aluminum will scratch with out a doubt. BUT, you could also get the scratches buffed out. With the spacegrey the scrathces will show more and there is no way of hiding the damage.

Those are the choices.

5. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

That's exactly why I'm going with the silver aluminum, it'll hide scratches better and looks good with the leather loop band.

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I'd say go with the silver one - a black band still looks great with it, but it offers more flexibility in terms of band choice in the long run. Plus, scratches won't show as easily.

I think the Space Grey one looks a bit more geeky than the silver one. No idea why.

7. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

I'm sold on the silver aluminum because of potential scratches on black but I would like the white sports band but concerned about how dirty will it get and will I be able to clean it?

8. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

Yes you'll be able to clean fluoroelastomer like anything else.

9. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

I was also originally going for the Space Grey Aluminium with the black band..and was firmly decided....but over the last few days I have changed my mind for the silver aluminium because of great band matching with the other alternatives...I'm not totally fond of the white band, or any of the other colours actually, but the white will do for a while until I see what 3rd party options are available

10. J4B3 macrumors regular

J4B3

Honest question; have you ever seen a scratched space grey iPhone? I remember the black iPhone 5 (it was bad) but I can't recall ever seeing scratching issues with the Space Grey. Is the concern due to the darker finish on the Apple Watch?

11. bumpylumpy macrumors member

I also think that scratches really should not be a major deciding factor - we don't really know how well either model holds up in the real world yet, and who knows - you may end up wanting to upgrade to the next generation before your watch develops any significant cosmetic blemishes.

Go with what you want today. We may even find out that the Stainless Steel is actually more scratch-prone than the aluminum models once real world scratching occurs!

12. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

I can't decide between Stainless Steel with Link Bracelet regular vs Space Black.... arhhhhhhh Any suggestions?

13. sterl320 macrumors 6502

same as you. After I saw that spine champagne color case on amazon, I went from Black to Silver almost instantly.

14. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

I have a space grey iPhone since launch that I throw around with no case and I don't have one scratch so far . So I'm going with the sports edition space grey.

15. MarkieMark92 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I am thinking of it this way, How many times do people change there iPhone cases? As I brought my iPhone 6 on day release (Waited for hours on end :eek:) and I brought a black case for it. Soo I am thinking how many bands I would get for the Apple Watch as it's unlikely I will buy anymore as I have yet to for my phone. The only thing I'm worried about is if I do decide to buy another one that the pins which are space grey on the black band but not on the aluminium ones will you see the aluminium pins clearly? and thinking about it will the black band only come with space grey fittings?

16. franzkfk, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015

franzkfk macrumors regular

franzkfk

Honest question; have you ever wore a watch?

Every watch will scratch. Worn titanium, stainless ... All have scratches now. Only glass looks like new - saphire. But the titanium were best. The scratches wasn't so obvious.

But what concerns me most is the Ion-X glass which is probably gorilla glass. Why somebody wants to buy a watch with that glass is beyond me. Mineral glass - scratched. Plastic - don't bother. I've got Air 2 and I have found a scratch on the glass after two months of use. Saphire - scratchless:)

For me there is one major point: cleaning - You wont have to bother which fabric material you can use. With saphire you can use jeans, shirt ... anything and you wont scratch it.