GRRR! Network Share Beachball Of Doom!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
This is absolutely infuriating. When I try to disconnect from a network share that is no longer available (for example, because the computer serving it is no longer running), the entire system beachballs and won't respond for 5 minutes (presumably until the network process encounters a timeout). Why oh why does Mac OS X do this? I am running 10.4.6, by the way.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
It's Finder and it sucks. I don't know a fix but in the same circumstances, I just refrain from disconnecting. Finder will then warn me eventually that the network is no longer available but it won't beachball. It's usually just easier. :)

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
I usually relaunch the finder when this happens.

Why haven't they fixed this yet? It's as if noone at Cupertino actually works on a network!

rockstarjoe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2006
washington dc
Dunepilot said:
I usually relaunch the finder when this happens.

Why haven't they fixed this yet? It's as if noone at Cupertino actually works on a network!
As a new switcher, I am also astounded by the fact that my Macbook forgets what network shares it is connected to whenever it goes to sleep. What the heck? I've yet to find a good workaround for this.

Not to hijack your thread, but anyone have any suggestions? I made alias files to all of my network shares, so I can double click on them to quickly remount the shares. I was wondering if there was an even quicker way to do this though. Can I create a hotkey shortcut to automatically mount all of my network shares at once?