Grrr, the iPod Shuffle....

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
1,494
0
Oxford/London
Quite dissapointed in it, but I can totally see where it would be the perfect gadget!
Good thing I bought it as a memory stick too (I needed one anyway!) :p
What most annoys me;
I'm listening to it, and some amazing track comes up from an obscure CD I've never fully listened to (I have a lot from my sister) and there's BUGGER ALL way of finding out what it is!!
Grrrrrrr :mad:
 

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
2,381
31
Well its easy to find the song...

Eliminate the songs you know its NOT on your computer, then listen to the songs again.
 

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
1,494
0
Oxford/London
dotdotdot said:
Well its easy to find the song...

Eliminate the songs you know its NOT on your computer, then listen to the songs again.
Is that what you did right before you took that picture for your avatar!? :p
 

Agathon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
708
53
Duh.

Switch back to sequential play from Shuffle. Find the song it's next to. Next time you plug it in, you'll see the mystery song in the playlist next to the one you knew.

I do this all the time.
 

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
1,494
0
Oxford/London
Agathon said:
Duh.

Switch back to sequential play from Shuffle. Find the song it's next to. Next time you plug it in, you'll see the mystery song in the playlist next to the one you knew.

I do this all the time.
As long as itunes doesn't start re-filling your ipod first!
I have usb 1 only on the mac i own with all my music on - grrr again!
The USB 2 model came out about 2 months after i got mine! grrr third!
(iMac G4 17" just before the final revision)
I'll try this next time though, thanks - seems a bit of a fiddle though - how do you remember the track? Write it down? What if you're out and about?
Maybe you don't realise I hear about 3-4 of these tracks every 20! That's how much music my sister has left around the place!
I have the 1GB ipod with ~200 tracks, maybe it's easier with smaller ones?
 

Agathon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
708
53
I'm in the same boat as you. 1GB Shuffle and USB 1.1

I tend to Autofill and then play in order (which is random enough for me), but if I am shuffling and don't recgonize a song, I just go back to normal and find the next song I know in order.

I don't know about your IPS, but mine doesn't fill until I tell it to. That means I can look at what's on it anyway. I also leave it in the source list, so I don't need to plug it in.

I do this all the time. I guess I'm just good at remembering.
 

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
1,494
0
Oxford/London
Agathon said:
I'm in the same boat as you. 1GB Shuffle and USB 1.1

I tend to Autofill and then play in order (which is random enough for me), but if I am shuffling and don't recgonize a song, I just go back to normal and find the next song I know in order.

I don't know about your IPS, but mine doesn't fill until I tell it to. That means I can look at what's on it anyway. I also leave it in the source list, so I don't need to plug it in.

I do this all the time. I guess I'm just good at remembering.
I may leave it on the sources. That would help.
Never thought I'd miss a screen so much as when something's playing and I love it but don't know what it is! - It's like that on the radio!
 

tdhurst

macrumors 601
Dec 27, 2003
4,003
101
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah....

James Philp said:
Quite dissapointed in it, but I can totally see where it would be the perfect gadget!
Good thing I bought it as a memory stick too (I needed one anyway!) :p
What most annoys me;
I'm listening to it, and some amazing track comes up from an obscure CD I've never fully listened to (I have a lot from my sister) and there's BUGGER ALL way of finding out what it is!!
Grrrrrrr :mad:
You know...it does say on the box that it has no screen...this is the strangest complaint I have heard about the Shuffle. It's like buying a desktop and being upset because it's not more portable.
 

iGary

Guest
May 26, 2004
19,583
0
Randy's House
appleretailguy said:
You know...it does say on the box that it has no screen...this is the strangest complaint I have heard about the Shuffle. It's like buying a desktop and being upset because it's not more portable.
Beat me to it.

What part of "no screen" isn't computing?
 

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
1,494
0
Oxford/London
like i say i bought it mainly as a memory stick, but my post wasn't a complaint per se!
It was just when it put some great tracks I didn't know in the mix that I didn't know what it was!
No complaint! (Oh apart from a USB 2>Firewire adaptor would have been nice!)
 

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
2,381
31
This thread is going on too long...

at this point, you would be better off getting a mini... sure its XP/2000/OSX 10.2.8 or OSX 10.3.4 and above only, but it acts as a portable HD, and shows the song titles...
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
It'd be cool if the shuffle had cell phone capabilities so you could ring your sister up, and transmit the song over to her phone. Then you could tell you the song. Why Apple doesn't include a built-in cellphone is beyond me.
 

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
19,232
4
Lacero said:
It'd be cool if the shuffle had cell phone capabilities so you could ring your sister up, and transmit the song over to her phone. Then you could tell you the song. Why Apple doesn't include a built-in cellphone is beyond me.
haha, that was great, im getting the hang of your humor now btw :D
 

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
1,494
0
Oxford/London
Lacero said:
It'd be cool if the shuffle had cell phone capabilities so you could ring your sister up, and transmit the song over to her phone. Then you could tell you the song. Why Apple doesn't include a built-in cellphone is beyond me.
Yeah, that would be cool... :p
I love the complaint of a thread is too long! Kinda adding to the length of it eh?
 

Agathon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
708
53
I think that a screen would be a total waste of time on the Shuffle. I wasn't convinced at first, but now I believe they just know better than the rest of us.

The screen on the regular ipods is obviously necessary, but the screen on small players seems to be as useless as the screens on discmans.

The point of the regular ipods is that you take all your music with you; the point of the Shuffle is that you take a subset of that.

But who can laboriously construct playlist after playlist to load onto the Shuffle. That gets boring so quickly. Better to use smart playlists or Autofill.

Even then, I always use Autofill or load up three or four albums and leave. You don't need a display to navigate when using a random playlist, and you don't really need one when you have a few albums on it.

I don't miss it at all.
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,641
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Lacero said:
It'd be cool if the shuffle had cell phone capabilities so you could ring your sister up, and transmit the song over to her phone. Then you could tell you the song. Why Apple doesn't include a built-in cellphone is beyond me.
Oh, don't forget a camera for the phone, to take a picture of the confused look on your face to convey your deep emotional turmoil to your sister! :D
 

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
1,494
0
Oxford/London
Agathon said:
I think that a screen would be a total waste of time on the Shuffle. I wasn't convinced at first, but now I believe they just know better than the rest of us.

The screen on the regular ipods is obviously necessary, but the screen on small players seems to be as useless as the screens on discmans.

The point of the regular ipods is that you take all your music with you; the point of the Shuffle is that you take a subset of that.

But who can laboriously construct playlist after playlist to load onto the Shuffle. That gets boring so quickly. Better to use smart playlists or Autofill.

Even then, I always use Autofill or load up three or four albums and leave. You don't need a display to navigate when using a random playlist, and you don't really need one when you have a few albums on it.

I don't miss it at all.
Yes, of course.
I though it was going to be good for audiobooks (just chuck one or two on) - which is what i spend 65% of my time listening to on my ipods, but the bookmarking is iffey at times - and no quick seeking - have spent many a minute with my thumb glued to the ff or rw buttons until I gave up and went back to the regular iPods i own.
 

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
5,215
2
Lacero said:
It'd be cool if the shuffle had cell phone capabilities so you could ring your sister up, and transmit the song over to her phone. Then you could tell you the song. Why Apple doesn't include a built-in cellphone is beyond me.

I'm confused. Why would you send her the song if you knew what it was? :confused:

:p
 

Agathon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
708
53
James Philp said:
Yes, of course.
I though it was going to be good for audiobooks (just chuck one or two on) - which is what i spend 65% of my time listening to on my ipods, but the bookmarking is iffey at times - and no quick seeking - have spent many a minute with my thumb glued to the ff or rw buttons until I gave up and went back to the regular iPods i own.
I guess that sucks. :(

I've never listened to an audiobook in my life, and I doubt I ever will. I'm an old fashioned sort.
 

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
1,494
0
Oxford/London
Agathon said:
I guess that sucks. :(

I've never listened to an audiobook in my life, and I doubt I ever will. I'm an old fashioned sort.
The problem is i spend a lot of time walking about (to/from lectures labs etc) or biking it. And i find i can't read a book while i'm doing this!
I save my reading for night-time so i usually have about 3 "books" on the go!
Plus I read enough just studying - damn engineering text books!
 

TheT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
485
0
Germany
James Philp said:
Quite dissapointed in it, but I can totally see where it would be the perfect gadget!
Good thing I bought it as a memory stick too (I needed one anyway!) :p
What most annoys me;
I'm listening to it, and some amazing track comes up from an obscure CD I've never fully listened to (I have a lot from my sister) and there's BUGGER ALL way of finding out what it is!!
Grrrrrrr :mad:
Many people might not know this, I never tried this on an iPod shuffle, but it works with every other iPod: Just create a smart Playlist in iTunes with songs that were recently played, sorted by "Last Time Played" (I don't have an english system to look up the exact words) and remeber which song came after the unknown track. It is important that the mysterious track is played all the way to the end, or the iPod won't count it. Voilà, next time you sync your iPod, you will see it on your "Recently Played" list right before the one you remembered, thanks to iTunes updating the Play Count of that song.
I hope this is understandable... :)
 

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
2,381
31
After about a week with an iPod shuffle, one thing is SO DAMN ANNOYING with it...


I wear it around my neck and people go, "OMG what is that? do you think I should buy one????"

I now store it in my pocket :(
 

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
2,381
31
TheT said:
Many people might not know this, I never tried this on an iPod shuffle, but it works with every other iPod: Just create a smart Playlist in iTunes with songs that were recently played, sorted by "Last Time Played" (I don't have an english system to look up the exact words) and remeber which song came after the unknown track. It is important that the mysterious track is played all the way to the end, or the iPod won't count it. Voilà, next time you sync your iPod, you will see it on your "Recently Played" list right before the one you remembered, thanks to iTunes updating the Play Count of that song.
I hope this is understandable... :)
Nope, doesn't work.

One of the things I read before getting my shuffle is that because there is no clock or something like one built in, when its Sync'd, all it updates is the play count. Not the last played date.

Therefore a smart playlist could be with the updated Play Counts
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,641
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
dotdotdot said:
Nope, doesn't work.

One of the things I read before getting my shuffle is that because there is no clock or something like one built in, when its Sync'd, all it updates is the play count. Not the last played date.

Therefore a smart playlist could be with the updated Play Counts
I'm a little surprised it doesn't do something like bump the last play to the time of syncing or something like that, in the case of the iPod Shuffle... Well, then again, I'm surprised Apple saved a worthwhile amount of money by taking these circuits out to begin with.
 

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
992
0
London
dotdotdot said:
After about a week with an iPod shuffle, one thing is SO DAMN ANNOYING with it...


I wear it around my neck and people go, "OMG what is that? do you think I should buy one????"

I now store it in my pocket :(
Yeah I know that. I bought my girlfriend her Shuffle. She wears it on her lanyard and kept telling me how many men were asking her about it. She couldn't understand why I thought it was better she wore it in her pocket
;)