Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
The thing I like about the mini is the fact that it the play, pause, forward, and backward buttons arent touch sensitive. If it's in your pocket, you can click the buttons without a remote, or having to take it out. I know that's really not a "feature", but it is cool.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Capt Underpants said:
The thing I like about the mini is the fact that it the play, pause, forward, and backward buttons arent touch sensitive. If it's in your pocket, you can click the buttons without a remote, or having to take it out. I know that's really not a "feature", but it is cool.

I really, truly wish the 3G iPod were like this. You basically can't navigate the buttons by feel; and that's a pain.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
I never did like the button arrangement on the 3rd gen. iPod. That is why I never bought one and now I am glad because I have a mini instead.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2003
laser-engraving

is that feature just for factory-delivered iPod mini's? So I cannot take it to Apple Store and have them engrave it :confused:

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
diehldun said:
is that feature just for factory-delivered iPod mini's? So I cannot take it to Apple Store and have them engrave it :confused:

I think so, but I am not sure :eek:

akeel6

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2003
behind god's back
diehldun said:
How much do they cost if you don't have AppleCare :confused:

There are some third party sites like ipodresq.com that replace batteries for slightly less of course you dont get any apple warrentees. i got my 2nd gen battery replaced from them it was quick.

As soon as i replaced the battery i traded the 2nd gen 20 gig to my sister for her 3rd gen 10 gig. I had size envy. i had bought my wife a pink mini for xmas (delivered in feb) and its really really cool. I like the mini for the size but i get frustrated when the song i want to listen to is not on my 10 gig hard drive (how the hell does it always happen that i have 1000 songs but the ONE i want to hear is not on there).

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2003
Thanks. I'll look into that if I need to replace it.

I am begining to get worried that the mini will not hold enough songs...

Palador

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2004
For everyone's information...

3 out of the 5 iPod mini's they had at the Apple store in Las Vegas had the static problem to some degree. Cutting out, static, popping, etc.

Granted they are floor demos and handled alot, but still... the floor demos of the ipod had nothing but a couple scratched and they've been out for alot long Im sure.

I was extremely surprised that they let those iPods stay on the floor. (especially the blue one, which cut out and staticed more than it played) They said they sell out within hours of getting new ones in... so I guess they just dont want to lose out on more sales. Also, the genius there said he 'hadn't really heard about the problem'.... YEAH.... SURE....

I have heard the problem is two fold, both the solder job on the headphone jack and the internal connecter from the mainboard to sound out is at fault.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I'm starting to worry about the iPod mini that I ordered. Hopefully by now they have fixed the static issue since it'll be a few months since the mini was released.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
Powerbook G5 said:
I'm starting to worry about the iPod mini that I ordered. Hopefully by now they have fixed the static issue since it'll be a few months since the mini was released.

I am hoping that was one of the reasons for the enormous number of delays in shipping that I had to deal with in getting my mini. So far no problems. That could be chance though. But it was almost a month later than Apple quoted me when I orderd, so I am hoping that some of that delay was fixing the problem. Unfortunately, only time will tell.

akeel6

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2003
behind god's back
diehldun said:
Thanks. I'll look into that if I need to replace it.

I am begining to get worried that the mini will not hold enough songs...

my wife has had her mini forever and we have had no problems at all. she loves the size of the HD and the device.

me being the tech junkie in the house i am waiting for the latest and greatest, as soon as the next gen ipod is out i'm buying. I would also suggest that no matter what size you get if you have a significant music collection you will exceed the size. i have about 400 CDs that i started ripping as soon as i got itunes 1.0 i didnt rip all cause i never listen to half of it but then i started downloading (from music store of course and not illegally, i would never do that, that would be wrong, that would make the little people suffer, have you seen the new ad in movie theathers with the painter..lol.. anyway i digress). I currently have about 20 gigs on my computer so i would have to get the 40 to hold it all, and i still have half my music on CD and not ripped. I would not say i'm an AVID music fan so i dont dl that much if you are you could end with 40 gigs easy.

My advice decide if you want small carring size or more song. I think 1000 songs with you is more than you will really need unless like me you always wnat to hear the song you dont have.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Powerbook G5 said:
So I ordered an iPod mini for my girlfriend's birthday this morning...7-8 week estimated ship date! I have been looking for it everywhere for a month now since her birthday is on July 4 and figured that'd give me plenty of time, but I finally gave up and ordered from Apple Online Store. How come this thing is so impossible to find? I still have yet to see one in person and not a single store I have been to has had one. Has anyone actually gotten one, and if you have, how the heck did you? I'm going to have to just send her a birthday card and give her a phone call on her birthday since it may be a week or two afterwards before she receives her iPod, which sucks, because I am going to fly up to see her a week before and was hoping to give it to her in person.

I swear, someday Apple is going to finally learn to gauge customer demand on one of their products...someday...

I got mine because I know some people at the Apple Store; I got hooked up.
You should get a copy of Shape, they have an advertisement that has little carboard cutouts of the iPods in all the colors, act as a kind of IOU.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Powerbook G5 said:

I've got one and it works very well, no static and no problems whatsoever.

wide said:
Sorry about my little rant there...I just really wish I didn't buy the mini. It doesn't look as nice as the other iPod...you can't beat the silver and white in my opinion.

Ouch... I'd take my sleek green baby anyday.. Its' better for running. It's much smaller (so much so that the regular iPod looks like a bus in comparision). It has personality and the aluminum just feels like a brick.

One solid little monster that I see nothing but envy pouring from the eyes of the whitePod owners.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2003
hulugu said:
I got mine because I know some people at the Apple Store; I got hooked up.
You should get a copy of Shape, they have an advertisement that has little carboard cutouts of the iPods in all the colors, act as a kind of IOU.

Hey! I just got Money Magazine and they had that advertisement! I have them all on my desk right now!

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
diehldun said:
Hey! I just got Money Magazine and they had that advertisement! I have them all on my desk right now!

Anybody know of any other mags that advertisement might be in?

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2003
Anyways...

:( unfortunately, my mum will not let me have my iPod mini until I finish school this year (and if I get straight-A's; except for math). I am trying to convince her as I already have the straight-A's, expcept for the B- in math. I will have the opportunity to open it in about two-weeks :mad:

While I am dreaming about opening it (she hid it somewhere around the house; can't find it!).

When you take the iPod mini out of the box, can you just connect it via FireWire to the Mac (for me, PowerBook 17") directly, without installing any software? I see there is a CD that comes in the box???? Because the thing is, she will find out the grades on Friday afternoon, and on by Sunday morning (REALLLY REALLY early morning), we are flying out to JFK and then to LHR. So I don't have much time (have to pack...)

I already have over 1,000 songs on the PB. What's the quickest way to transport them?

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
diehldun said:
:( unfortunately, my mum will not let me have my iPod mini until I finish school this year (and if I get straight-A's; except for math). I am trying to convince her as I already have the straight-A's, expcept for the B- in math. I will have the opportunity to open it in about two-weeks :mad:

While I am dreaming about opening it (she hid it somewhere around the house; can't find it!).

When you take the iPod mini out of the box, can you just connect it via FireWire to the Mac (for me, PowerBook 17") directly, without installing any software? I see there is a CD that comes in the box???? Because the thing is, she will find out the grades on Friday afternoon, and on by Sunday morning (REALLLY REALLY early morning), we are flying out to JFK and then to LHR. So I don't have much time (have to pack...)

I already have over 1,000 songs on the PB. What's the quickest way to transport them?

Well, I installed the software that came on the disk. Didn't try it without doing that, so I am not sure. But I think if you have downloaded the latest iPod updates from software update, it should work fine. But to be on the safe side, it just took a couple of minutes to install it. No big deal. However, if you have more than a thousand songs on your PB then you will have to choose some way to reduce that number for transfer. You can either let it choose a playlist for you comprised of the songs it chooses, or you can make playlists for it (or use ones you already have) and choose which lists you want to copy over (which is what I did) If you already knew this, sorry for telling you again. I just wanted to be helpful :cool:

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2003
Thanks...

What's this "smart playlist" that I hear about on the iPod's? I heard something about it choses/clasifies them so it can fit in the mini? What is going on :confused:

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
diehldun said:
What's this "smart playlist" that I hear about on the iPod's? I heard something about it choses/clasifies them so it can fit in the mini? What is going on :confused:

Well there are smart playlists that you can create within iTunes and transfer to the mini. However, I am not sure about how/if you can do that within the mini. The software will automatically create a playlist for your mini if all your music won't fit, but I don't know if it is a smart playlist. I hadn't heard that before. I just chose which of my tunes I wanted on the mini.

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Powerbook G5 said:
So what are you saying? The mini isn't worth it because the buttons don't light up? You can give me your mini...

Why not get regular ipod? Still seems like a better deal.

I've seen a green one in person. It looks nice and small but I wouldnt spend 250 on it. With ed. disc. regular 15gbs ipod ends up being 40 bucks more and you also can laser sign it. Plus it's available right now. But if you are keen on mini, check out those sites like macconnection.com or macmall.com etc...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.