Grrrr, No sound when playing .avi

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ross1308, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Ross1308 macrumors member

So i followed a guide and downloaded what it said and did what it said, i got video but no sound at all, no matter what i tried, anyhelp would be great, Thanks Guys
    Ross.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Depends on the particular .avi file. Some are recorded without sound. Have a link, so someone else can test it?

3. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Are you using VLC Player? Have you tried converting the .avi file to a different playback format? If you're trying to use Quicktime to play the .avi, you'll need Perian http://perian.org/

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

QT has problems even with the extensions.

get VLC and your AVIs will be golden.

AVI does seem to be rather unreliable considering it popularity.

5. Ross1308 thread starter macrumors member

QuickTime is a bit gay tbh for not supporting it, i have the Xvid codec and i think its the A53 audio codec, which i downloaded from a guide by a website called InstallingCats, will try perian, Thanks

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

QT has some faults, but I think it's unfair to bash QT for the poor quality of coding in AVI. Do try out VLC though it does a good job with the AVIs.

7. Ross1308 thread starter macrumors member

Perian FTW !!!!111, but now i cant get rid of the other codecs i installed, i put my password in and delete it then when i try to remove it from trash, it says the Xvid codec is currently in use and cannot be delted, i tried both Stop and Continue neither worked.

Yeah, i must admit QuickTime is good at what it does, but it should support avi