Grrrrrrr 4 Software

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mafpolo, Jul 19, 2010.

1. mafpolo macrumors member

My first time to be p.o'd at Apple. I downloaded the new 4 software onto my 3G. It has run so slowly ever since - like someone poured syrup into it.

Should I reset it? Is there an update coming to fix this problem?

Here comes the blasphemy.....this c*&p is so microsoft

:mad:

2. draz macrumors 6502a

I somehow had a slightly faster phone since the 4.0.1 update. Might want to give that a try. But it is still much slower than the previous 3.x versions.

Nothing you can do but whine and complain.... Well you can downgrade but it takes a bit of effort. (not sure of the steps)

3. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

A while back, my friend updated his 3G and I my 2G Touch to iOS 4. Completely turned both our iDevices to molasses. Both of us have since downgraded to 3.1.2

IMO, unless you got the 3GS or iP4, don't upgrade, ESPECIALLY if you want to jailbreak.

4. mafpolo thread starter macrumors member

Please tell me how to downgrade!

Please tell me how to downgrade. The old software is not on my computer (unless it's on my back up).

5. mafpolo thread starter macrumors member

Where would I find it on my back up..it it's there

Not sure where to find the old iPhone software on my back up drive?

6. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Firmware links: http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

If you use Windows (God forbid), then I have no idea how exactly to do it.

In Mac, if I remember correctly, what I did was save the .ipsw file to my Desktop. Open iTunes, connect your iDevice, then Option + click, which will allow you to choose the firmware (.ipsw) file to restore to.

I did this a few weeks ago, and am trying to remember this all. If my instructions don't work, there are excellent tutorials on YouTube.

P.S. make sure you have the EXACT firmware file for your 3G iPhone

7. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Select the iPhone 3G (3.1.2/7D11) choice from the drop down list.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There's an update.
    Its called buy a new faster model or stay with 3.1.3:D
    2 Year old phones are not going to run fast on brand new software mostly meant for 3GS and iphone 4 devices.

9. St8kout macrumors regular

More than a few tech sites predicted that older iphones might run slower with the 4.0 update. Guess they were right.

10. crezza macrumors newbie

surely apple should not release this software for 3g's then if its "sluggish"

personally i've never had/heard off so many problems with apple iphones the last few weeks!!

11. eddy64 macrumors regular

I agree with you, but then apple should be smart enough NOT to allow 3G owners to upgrade and simply tell them "your iPhone will run too slow". If apple relased it as an upgrade, then they should take full responsibility for slowing down people's phones. They make the iPhone targeted for the "average" guy that's not tech savy, yet they expect them to know that an "UPDATE" will slow down their phone?
    Apple Fail

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree, they should have stopped with 3.1.3 on the 2G and 3G models.
    But you will have alot of people crying and complaining about it.
    Either way there will be negativity.
    But at least there's an option to go back down to 3.1.3 if you dont like the slowdown of the new OS.

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I think they should offer it and let the user decide if the tradeoff of running slower but having folders is worth it. I've never liked Apple not allowing something and deciding for us.