GRRRRRRRRRR !!! Refurb 2.4 came today..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zepharus, Mar 13, 2008.

1. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Low and behold Samsung screen with 4 dead pixels, a nice one with a small line to another included!

And the lovely yellow screen.... Just my luck Starting to think im done with MBPs

Good thing my iMac is perfect or I might not be with Apple anymore...

Im so very frustrated right now. what the Eff is up with Apple?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It is not Apple's fault, although I would have expected better QC from the manufactureres in China. Maybe Apple should move production back to North America.

TEG

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

er.... our Mac's ain't made in china, but assembled. And the TFT's ain't made in china either! Apple normally use Korean panels from either Samsung or Philips.

4. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

initiate the return process now!
    believe me, it's going to cost you a week or more of wating if you prolong..
    i'm tolerable with the yellowish tint.. but not dead pixels

5. bamf macrumors 6502

That would be nice. The fact that it's assembled in China is the only thing i DON'T like about my new MBP.

I've been to the Dell assembly plant near Austin, and if Dell can assemble them in America at the price they sell them for, then so can Apple quite frankly.

6. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

+ 1 on this one

7. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Yes, I think I have to. I thought about just dealing with it, but I should'nt have to.

What a major PITA this is.....

8. bamf macrumors 6502

Yes, but part of the assembly process should be looking at the screen as a QC function. Quality control in China has proven less than great over the last year or so (across many industries).

9. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The problem it that everything from Dell usually comes in preassembled bundles from China, so their assembly in the US is just for show. Otherwise they would allow for more cusomization of their systems when you order.

Plus, I know many towns in the Midwest that could certainly use manufacturing jobs, even if it is just assembling computers from parts sourced elsewhere (Flint, MI anyone!).

TEG

10. PDE macrumors 68020

it's not apple's fault? Of course it is! They make all the choices that lead to the finished product, including the level of quality control. It's completely their fault and they alone are ultimately responsible for the finished product.

As a side note, Nikon has all its camera factories in Thailand and the quality control is superb and consistent. There is no reason at all that Apple can't improve manufacturing in China considerably, but that would eat into their profit margin slightly so they don't.

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Honestly speaking....
    I don't think "QC" or "QA" actually exists in china's manufacturing.
    if it does, no-one knows about it... I remember, when Macs used to be built in Ireland and the US. Apple didn't have a refurb store, quite simply we got quality goods.. but we paid for the privilege - perhaps if there's enough demand from consumers like us, they might consider moving back.. but highly unlikely due to labour costs.

Also...
    Have you seen the amount of cr4p that comes to Japan on a daily basis? mostly from China! Put it this way.. we have "チャイナフリー" (China-Free) grocery store popping up everywhere! That's how much we trust Chinese consumables... only good for lining the trash.

12. Winglet macrumors regular

Winglet

This is completely Apple's fault!

I don't understand how you could believe otherwise. It doesn't matter where the product is made, assembled, tested, etc., the quality control is Apple's and only Apple's responsibility. When they put their name and hefty price on the product, they assume 100% of the responsibility for a defective product.

I would be on the phone so fast and raising holy (you know what!) There is no excuse for that product to be shipped in that condition!

13. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

That is some craptacular luck. I can understand how an occasional new computer may slip through the cracks with such issues (the old Friday afternoon special) but am very surprised a refurb did. Much like pre-owned cars, these refurbs are usually (allegedly) checked & rechecked all around to ensure you are getting a functional product. Either someone really dropped the ball or the damage occurred during the shipping process.

14. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

How is a poor product that was shipped to a consumer not APPLE'S fault? C'mon... you must be joking!

15. PDE macrumors 68020

I remember paying around $2000 for my powerbook G3 pismo in 2000 or 2001. It's been a while since Apple has lowered the cost of its laptops, yet the cost to produce them must have gone down tremendously. Apple could easily afford better quality control and quality, but it doesn't want to take a penny from its already inflated profit margins. At least they should move manufacturing back to Taiwan - that would be a huge step toward better quality.

16. AppleAddict! macrumors newbie

17. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i don't think it's right to blame another country for this.
    APPLE has the sole responsiblity for what happened to our MBP.
    :)

18. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Well that was unexpected... I just got off the phone with Apple. I was at first transferred to Tech supprt where the guy was pretty rude when I told him I just wanted a refund and to be done with it. Without so much as a word he transfers me (I originally thought he hung up!).

Mike from CUSTOMER RELATIONS picks up and I proceed to calmly tell him the situation with the dead pixels and yellowing. Im not the rude type but was feeling frisky and aggrivated. Mike Immediatly diffused that as he sounded genuine that he wanted to help.

He sent out expidited shipping labels for me at Apples Cost and then proceeded to tell me to return it for a full refund. I was asked to hold for 2 min while he called customer sales and when he returned offers me $300 off the 2.4 Penryn ! He was emphatic about wanting to keep me as a customer and super sincere.

I guess Im a sucker as I took the offer and will be trying again....

19. heatmiser macrumors 68020

So much FUD in this thread. This has nothing to do with China, and everything to do with Apple's piss poor attention to detail. I get so tired of seeing this b.s. claim trotted out each time people get crappy Apple products and bend over backwards to scapegoat everyone *other* than Apple for screwing them over.

Read posts 17, 18, and 19 from this thread.

zepharus, good luck with the new MBP.

20. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

hmm..something tells me you planned this all along!
    you prayed for the defect in your purchase so you can get the discount!:D
    ha ha!
    the force is strong with this one!
    congratulations! what a great Spin for an initally bad experience!
    :D

21. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

LOL I only wish. Infact the entire time I was praying for it to have an LG screen...Now I guess I start the praying process over.. Im gonna blow a testicle if this one has issues...

22. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i wouldn't advice blowing that!
    sine you have a "LIMITED" amount.. most people only have 2.
    unless you're not planning to buy another mac in the next 10 yrs..

all i'm saying is, blow something or somebody:D
    but pls not your two pairs of you know what..
    you might run out!
    :D
    congratulations again!

23. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

My friends call me E.T nuff said...

24. Winglet macrumors regular

Winglet

Good for you! That's the way to take the bull by the horns! I am glad that you weren't put through the ringer, as many people are, when they attempt to challenge an Apple product's quality. What amazes me is the arrogance the company shows with regard to faulty products.

Oh well, on my way to get my replacement battery for my 4 month old MBP that, yes, Apple is replacing for free! Took some negotiation with the Genius though! Go figure!