GSM Buzz - why now??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brijazz, Apr 23, 2010.

1. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

I've never had a problem with the dreaded "GSM buzz" on my 3GS… until recently. Over the last few weeks, the buzz has suddenly begun affecting a variety of speakers; my home theatre, my digital piano, etc.

My questions is: why now? I've owned the 3GS since July 2009, and not had a problem until now. Can anyone offer an explanation?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I dunno,
    I've always had a GSM buzz. I can't say why it appeared to you so suddenly

3. bripab007 macrumors 6502

I always had the GSM buzz back with my 1st-gen iPhone running on only AT&T's Edge network. Once I stepped into the iPhone 3GS and was on AT&T's 3G network, the GSM speaker disappeared.

I will say that, every once in a while, in a spot in which I typically have rock-solid 3G coverage, I'll get knocked off onto Edge network, and am usually alerted to this by some speaker buzz. I think one reason I'm unaware at first is because I'm often connected to a Wi-Fi AP, so I don't see the "E" or "3G" up in the phone's status bar.

So, are you sure you're not dropping down to Edge?

4. brijazz thread starter macrumors 6502

brijazz

Good call, and thanks a million. I've been using "My Profiles" app on my jailbroken 3GS. I had set it up to turn off my 3G (but not Edge, I guess) when I'm connected to Wi-Fi. I've changed the setting so that 3G is enabled, even when connected to Wi-Fi, and the problem is gone. Yay!