GT 5 : Head Tracking

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by MRU, Sep 9, 2009.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Interesting article....

Ok sounds really promising until you think about it and it occurs to me this has a rather serious flaw....

If your playing a racing game, and use your head to look down, left or right - you're no longer looking at the TV set.

If your not looking at the TV set how are you going to see any of those things anyway ? :confused:

Whilst this may work if your up close to your TV, if your sitting an average of 6 feet away from your TV your going have to to tilt your head, whilst looking in the opposite direction in order to maintain eye contact with the TV. That sounds uncomfortable to say the least.

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Well thats the flaw in all of this motion/tracking tech MS/Sony is using...turning your head in a FPS, peeking, ducking and rolling. I don't see the effectiveness in any of it unless you have LCD screens all around you that gives you a full 360 degree look at the environment.

I'll have to see how it pans out...cockpit view/driving wheels is the only way I could play these racers and adding head tracking to it can't hurt but I don't really see a need for it.

Bless

3. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

turn your head a bit while keeping your eyes on the screen. Just a slight twist is all it requires. There is a Half-Life mod that uses a webcam to track your head motion, and it works fairly well to boot.

4. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    Like other head tracking tech, I assume it the ratio could be changed as well as the sensitivity (or expo if you will if your used to using rc radios).

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That seems a little gimmicky for something like GT5.

6. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

7. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

It will probably be pretty sensitive, not 1:1 control. You just turn your head slightly and you see out the side window. That sounds pretty sweet, if it works...

8. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

But PC users are sat two feet away from their monitors. Not the same thing as being sat way back on the couch. Also that device needs an extra peripheral to be worn around the head in order for it to track properly.

How will EyeCamera be able to replicate that is a big ? Especially in different lighting, various living room objects and any extra people sat in the room whilst your playing..

If it works it will be sweet indeed. But we will see.

9. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

It will probably be good. I don't see them taking any unnecessary risks with the GT franchise.

10. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Good luck to Sony, especially when considering your points. Maybe they should release an optional clip for their setup. :)

11. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i'm not so sure this will be a hit with the head tracking, but GT 5 will overall and i'm glad they are at least working with this kind of technology. can't wait for GT 5!

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85