GT 650m 2gb

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FatGuy007, Aug 13, 2012.

1. FatGuy007 macrumors 6502

I really wish they put a configure option for the other version of GT 650m, It would've able to do graphic designing faster, gaming would be much better, and would help with the resolution on the MBPr. This is a stupid question because the MBPr is unfixable, but would you be able to take out a 1gb card and put in a 2gb? Or maybe in the future they'll put it in.

2. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

I am pretty sure you can't take out the dGPU with the normal MBP so I think there is zero chance that you can tinker with the rMBP

3. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

More memory does not necessarily speed up your card. Higher clocked memory would. You won't be graphic designing any faster. You may possibly game better at super high resolutions but not really "faster" you just have more buffer to fill at the same speed. 2GB should have come on rMBP. cMBP doesn't need it and a 650m couldn't barely push a 27" display at full res at any memory allotment anyway. What you want is just a faster card. Which would create more heat and then drain the battery more and negate the fact that you bought a laptop. Get a tower. They have faster GPU's. Even if they are offering 3 year old cards.

4. FatGuy007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes it would've been much better for the resolution, and would actually be better for graphic designing for 3d rendering. I graphic design on the go, so towers arent an option.

5. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

As others have said, upgrading the graphics chip in any Apple notebook computer is practically impossible. Secondly, I'm not convinced the 650M, even overclocked as it is would be fast enough to justify having 2GB of VRAM. Most graphics cards come with such large amounts of VRAM for marketing reasons only, because most Windows computers are advertised by giving the amount of VRAM they contain, when it would be far more useful to give the GPU designation.

EDIT: I would expect that 2GB GPUs will come around next year, when Apple moves to NVIDIA 6XXM or AMD 8XXXM GPUs.