GT 650M 512MB for gaming?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by benjamwes, Jul 18, 2013.

1. benjamwes macrumors member

How does the GT 650M with 512MB of VRAM perform with gaming?
    I'll play games like Minecraft the most but if the machine can handle it then I'd like to try some more intensive games like Battlefield 3. Gaming isn't my number 1 priority as I can just use my PS3 or XBOX for that, but I was just wondering how well the GT 650M does... :cool:

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

It performs pretty well. I would go to youtube and check out reviews on how games play on it. Though I would recommend at least 1GB of VRAM if gaming is the preference.

3. benjamwes thread starter macrumors member

I have been on youtube and had a look and from what I've seen it's pretty good, but you can't upgrade to 1GB of VRAM on the 21.5" can you? :/

4. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Whoops, yeah youre right. Thought I saw the option before, but it may have been for another model

5. benjamwes thread starter macrumors member

The only way you can get 1GB of VRAM is with the highest 27" iMac. :p
    Thanks for the help anyway, I think the GT 650 will be fine for video editing and some gaming, and I should stick to consoles for bigger games!

6. d0nK, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013

d0nK macrumors 6502

Isn't the iMac about to get a spec update?
    Rumours abound that Apple are to upgrade the iMac to Haswell.
    I don't care about a CPU upgrade.. I care about a GFX card upgrade (and fusion as standard) and hope they bump the GFX cards up to a minimum of 1Gig VRAM.
    I'm not going to be surprised if Apple don't do this... but there is always hope, no matter how much Apple like to scrape the pennies for the shareholders.

7. benjamwes thread starter macrumors member

If I wait then want to buy the older model, I won't be able to get a customised one like you can on the apple website. Also, I can't afford it if the prices increase much. I only care about the GPU as well