Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if any of who have this model and GPU were willing to share some information? What are some of the games you guys are playing and what are some of your settings, benchmarks, FPS? Do you guys consider the GPU sufficient for gaming? Please do not post links to other websites (e.g. notebook check). I'm interested in each of your own personal experiences with the card. I ask because I'm considering the higher-end 21.5" iMac with this GPU, and was wondering if it would satisfy my gaming needs (casual gamer, not hardcore, don't need to play every game at 60 FPS). The 27" iMac is really over kill in terms of screen size (I have a small work station!) and price (can afford it, just not willing to spend over $3,000 on another computer just for gaming-did that before and I regret it) and I would hate to be forced to resort to it just for the sole purpose of gaming. The 21.5" is really more suitable for my uses, but I would like it to run current, as well as past games (Batman Arkham Asylum, Crysis 2, GTA IV, Borderlands) at decent frame rates (>30 FPS) and decent settings. Please let me know what you guys think and thank you all for your help!

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
you sure the gt 650m is 512MB? i thought it was 1GB GDDR5

Yes, the classic MBP comes with two versions of the card-the low end 15" with the 2.3GHz CPU is equipped with the GT 650M 512MB VRAM version, where as the higher-end models have the 1GB VRAM versions.

xxcysxx

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Yes, the classic MBP comes with two versions of the card-the low end 15" with the 2.3GHz CPU is equipped with the GT 650M 512MB VRAM version, where as the higher-end models have the 1GB VRAM versions.

oh, thanks for the clarification. i didn't see that.

TRAV9614

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2012
I have that model. I don't game too much but I have played call of duty 4 on high settings and have gotten about 37fps. I am pretty sure that gta 4 won't run on high settings because it is recommended to have 1gb VRAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.