GT650m Retina vs Non Retina.

icecoldart

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Europe-Poland
Hello there folks, i'm still debating o which one to buy, but i'd like to wait and read the reviews of new imac's too before pulling the trigger.

I know that there are 2 versions of GT650M that are installed in the non retina macbook pro's. One has 512 MB and the second one has 1GB of ram.

Now i know that retina's one has higher clock rates than the cMBP. So I wonder if people who also do run windows on their machines could install 3D Mark 11 or vantage, run a few tests and post the results in this thread.

I'd like to know how much crippled the non retina versions are compared to their faster brother or sister... :)

So post results of non retina and retina GT650m here.

Thanks in advance!

UBS28

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2012
The retina is too slow. Even a 2010 MBP scrolls smoother in ML. Maybe the GPU with haswell will be powerful enough in 2013 Q1.

So I'd say go for the non-retina. SSD prices have dropped a lot so you add one yourself for not alot of money :) If you need a really good screen, it's better to invest in an external display rather than a 15" laptop screen :p

nontroppo

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
The retina is too slow. Even a 2010 MBP scrolls smoother in ML. Maybe the GPU with haswell will be powerful enough in 2013 Q1.
I own both a 2010 15" cMBP and 2012 rMBP and this is not true in my experience.

ibd

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2008
You clearly have no clue what you're talking about. Look at any current game running on i7+kepler gpu. This combo is easily able to push huge amounts of data on screen. The bottleneck lies in software (i.e. os x and its drivers), as proven by the fact that even the rushed out first-gen update for rMBP resulted in much better fps. Unless apple optimizes their libraries, we won't see an improvement with Haswell.

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
You clearly have no clue what you're talking about. Look at any current game running on i7+kepler gpu. This combo is easily able to push huge amounts of data on screen. The bottleneck lies in software (i.e. os x and its drivers), as proven by the fact that even the rushed out first-gen update for rMBP resulted in much better fps. Unless apple optimizes their libraries, we won't see an improvement with Haswell.
Very true about the bottleneck. iGPU is capable of running much more than what the software is currently capable of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.