GTA IV on 2.26GHz MBP (Video)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ColinEC, Jun 27, 2009.

1. ColinEC macrumors 6502

This topic was originally intended to be posted in the gaming section, however I see threads discussing the gaming capability of the 2.26GHz model more often in the MBP section.

I was originally going to purchase the 2.8GHz 15" MBP over the 2.26GHz 13" MBP for the sole purpose of playing Grand Theft Auto IV, however I decided against it, and purchased the 2.26GHz model.

Today I installed Windows 7 RC 64-Bit in hopes that I could play GTA IV on it, but I had low expectations performance wise. To my surprise, the game ran very well. I captured a video to demonstrate the capabilities of this machine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHsjzn4jp_4

As you can see, the computer handles it just fine. Of course I am running on all low details, but the game wasn't well-optimized anyways and the MBP is still able to play well.

My camera records at 30FPS so you should see a fairly accurate representation of how it performs in actuality.

2. womble2k2 macrumors regular

Did I read that right. You were going to splash out on a high end MBP for the sole purpose of playing a single game??? Wow!

3. ColinEC thread starter macrumors 6502

And that's when my wallet and I realized it was a horrible idea :p

4. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Looks great! Almost identical to my PS3, actually.

5. womble2k2 macrumors regular

I hope you find other uses for your MBP as well.

6. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

That video looked pretty good. I wonder how much better the next 13" MBP would handle it, considering the extra RAM and CPU speed (though the same GPU). Thanks for sharing.

7. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

O_O

It performs better than on my friend's iMac 2.4 with Radeon 2600 under XP!

Most impressive.

8. ColinEC thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, it performs well if you turn everything down :p

Your friend is probably running it on much nicer details than I do.

9. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

10. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Looks pretty good for a Youtube video. GTA IV isn't a really demanding game, so I would expect the 13" to do fine. But, the resolution is a bit weak, which I can understand. What are the fans/temps at when playing?

11. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

It looks like it stutters a lot but besides that it looks pretty good.

ChrisN

12. ColinEC thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm unsure of the ran RPM & temperature while playing, what application should I get to monitor that? It was fairly hot, though. The top-left corner (near the magsafe) became very hot to touch and the fans were spinning quite fast.

13. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

On Windows 7? I am not too sure, is there something built into 7 to monitor it? Normal gaming temps/fans I am sure. I play Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 and Earned in Blood on my MBP in XP (at 1440x900 with max settings) and my fans are blasting with heat steady at like 175*F+. Enjoy the MBP.

14. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

No it was everything lowest and 800x600.

You serious? It may not be very demanding, but its so poorly coded it runs like crap on every computer unless the computer has quad cores and 2 top-range video cards in SLI or Crossfire.

15. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

idk why you didn't consider the 2.66ghz model, but that's pretty impressive. I have to try a couple more games out on my 13in MBP. I've only tried Crysis, Lost Planet, Tomb Raider Anniversary (Mac version). Crysis was horrible but playable if you really wanted to play it on low everything. Lost Planet was better but still pretty sucky. (this was all in Windows 7) TR ran really great though.

16. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Well, it won't run at maximum settings, but it will run.