GTA IV on Mac using wrapper?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bobjoefredsky, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Bobjoefredsky macrumors newbie

Ok I really want GTA IV, but I'm not willing to pay $299 for a Windows CD to install Boot Camp.

I heard you can actually just buy the GTA IV pc game, then use a wrapper to "unbox" it or whatever, so you can actually play it smoothly.

A few notes:

-I have the MacBook Pro from late 2011
    -I am NOT a computer person, I want SIMPLE instructions please
    -What type of wrapper is the best
    -I am not pirating ANYTHING, I am only buying the PC game then using a wrapper to run it on my mac

Also Call Of Duty: Black Ops just came out on the Mac App store, so graphics shouldn't be an issue here.

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It's too complicated to make it run in a wrapper. Also your performance from a wrapper and from games that's on the App Store is a lot worse. Plus, there's no guarantee it'll work.

If you're a student, you can get Windows for cheap. But right now, the best way to run GTA4 is under Windows Boot Camp.

3. superriku11 macrumors member

superriku11

Wrappers aren't complicated at all, I use them all the time. I've custom made my own for a few games based off different WINE projects, whatever I've found to work best in each scenario.

Some people don't have the comprehension to even understand simple wrappers though, and those are generally the people that have never touched programming I find.

Also, wrappers that use WINE take longer to initialize than the game would normally, but they run at near-native speeds.

4. ScholarsInk macrumors regular

GTA IV is a nightmare to run even on PC because the port is very, very inefficient. I'm not sure the wrapper is viable.

5. Bobjoefredsky thread starter macrumors newbie